The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been diehard archery guy for 20+ years but am thinking about a flintlock for this upcoming season. I'm probably going to purchase in July so I have plenty of time to practice and be comfortable with it. I'm thinking .54 caliber. I'm looking for recommendations on a good reliable flintlock and what are things to look for and what to avoid. If the flintlock world is anything like the archery world I know I'm opening myself up for a million opinions and I'll still have to wade through that. But what do you use and why?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Kind of a wide open question. You can probably pick up a used T\C flinter for $250 or so. The T\C's are pretty reliable. I have a Hawken in 50 caliber that I've taken about a billion doe with.

Now, if your budget is more you can look at a place like Track of The Wolf. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/487/1?PageSize=100 There better flinters start at about $1,500 and go up into the thousands more.

They also have T\C's there but more costly than a private owner.

I built one of ToTW kit rifle's about a year ago. I probably have $700 into the rifle but it's a much better product than a factory T\C. Better wood, better lock, better trigger. This one is a .54 caliber and I took a doe with it in January.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Welcome to the surface of a very deep rabbit hole. :)

Like SteelTrap said, you can get into the game for a pretty inexpensive amount of investment, but once you find a taste, it's very easy to start sinking big $$$.

I use a homemade hawken 50 cal I built from parts scrounged and donated while I was working with a BSA Camp 20+ years ago. It's not pretty, but it's been 100% reliable and has put meat in the freezer.

Every now and then I lust after a custom long rifle, but there's just too many memories tied to the hawken to not take it out every January.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I want quality but not looking to get into another super expensive hobby. I already have custom recurves and I love guitars! I also love my wife so spending a $1000 right now into another hobby may not be my best decision. What's everyones thoughts on the Lyman Deer Stalker?

Thanks for all the resources you all have now occupied the rest of my day!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lyman has had a few recalls last couple of yrs. But their .50 cal. great plains rifle was some of the best I have ever shot against , very accurate with patched round ball, and reliable.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I got caught up in that recall thing, but Lyman did make good on it. Also ended up replacing the lock with an L&R, and now its a great gun. Great Plains 54 Cal round ball gun.

Best bet is to tie up with someone playing this game for a while. There are a lot of little things that make a big difference in the long run.

As a lot of the guys on the forum suggest, see the Muzzleloading Festival at Dixons Muzzleloading in July. If nothing else you can really learn a lot, and if the money isnt a problem you could get one of the excellent gunmakers to build you a dependable flinter.

·
Super Moderator
7,946 Posts
I got caught up in that recall thing, but Lyman did make good on it. Also ended up replacing the lock with an L&R, and now its a great gun. Great Plains 54 Cal round ball gun.

Best bet is to tie up with someone playing this game for a while. There are a lot of little things that make a big difference in the long run.

As a lot of the guys on the forum suggest, see the Muzzleloading Festival at Dixons Muzzleloading in July. If nothing else you can really learn a lot, and if the money isnt a problem you could get one of the excellent gunmakers to build you a dependable flinter.
I would agree with a trip to Dixon’s. The fair is a a lot of fun and you can look at tons of more budget minded options in his shop, which is open at the time too.

The only hitch is you won’t get much individual attention from the staff because of how busy it is.

Any other time (at this point I’d say after the fair is over), you usually will have the shop to yourself and get answers to any question you want to ask.

Or any of a bunch of us from HPA will be at the fair and can help a new person into the hobby.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again. Sounds like a trip to Dixon's is in order. I've also heard good things about the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. Just like archery I'm sure it's not traditional enough for some but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I believe you can fire it both with blackpowder and round ball and with pellets and sabot's.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You can fire roundball, Pa Conical's (Hornady makes these), and a modern bullet with a sabot out of any flintlock. From what I've seen....and I don't claim to know it all.....is the twist rate on the 50 cal Traditions is 1-48.

Now, a lot of people may be, but I'm not a fan of the 1-48 twist. I replaced my T\C Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel of 1-70. My .54 Cal is also a Green Mt. 1-70 twist.

What I have found is the deeper the groves in the rifling the better\more\easier the follow up loading is to do. My factory T\C 1-48 twist would only accurately shoot a PRB with 60-gr. of FF. Any more and I got shotgun patterns. Both my GM barrels shoot 100gr FF with no accuracy issues.

Here is the target at 100 yards the very first time I shot my .54 cal. Off a bench of course. This was a PRB (Patched Round Ball)

As for the Traditions Pellet, read the reviews and hopefully someone will post here. I saw they are priced at Grice's Gun Shop for about $350. If they group well with good velocity it will do the job. Nothing wrong with an inexpensive work horse!! The fun is in the hunt! These firearms are addicting!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks again. Sounds like a trip to Dixon's is in order. I've also heard good things about the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. Just like archery I'm sure it's not traditional enough for some but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I believe you can fire it both with blackpowder and round ball and with pellets and sabot's.
Found one in stainless for my brother about 3-4 years back at the Oaks gun show.. was new/un-fired. Paid $225 out the door for it.
He loves it. Trigger was slightly heavier than I like on a flinter, I'd say it was probably about 4.5-5lbs.
Shoots PRB, Conicals, or sabots pretty well. Gun groups better than he can shoot it at the moment, but he's improving.

It will shoot pellets, with the caveat that your priming better be perfect, and the pellets VERY fresh. It likes pyrodex pellets more than 777. If you drop a few grains of BP in before the pellets (of either type), you're back to 100% ignition.
Shoots 3F with complete reliability, so that's what he uses in the field. He's taken 2 doe with it in the 3 seasons of use.

Came with fiber optic sights... Nice and visible, but might look odd to some.

Overall, I'd have no qualms picking up another to have as a backup.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have a PA Pellet, 50 cal. Love that gun! It likes 370 gr Maxis over 100 grs of FFG. Two things to know:
#1. Adjust the sear to lighten the trigger. Comes with a 12>14 lb pull. Mine is 3lb now.

#2. Check the mating of the pan to frizzen. Remove the lock, hold it to a light looking into the INSIDE of the pan, and if you see light it needs to be filed to match it up.
The gap will let your 4F fall out, or let moisture into the pan on a damp day. Either way it can stop it from going bang.

Otherwise, that PA Pellet is a great entry gun. (And mine also shoots round ball well)

·
Super Moderator
7,946 Posts
You're into archery, correct?

Ok.

Look at entry level bows. The basic, very basic, entry level bows.

Now look at the bows you really like and want to shoot.

The same pattern holds true with flintlocks.

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of pellet based propellant in a flintlock. While convenience is a compelling idea, when you have to drop loose powder down first to get reliable ignition, it seems to me you've tossed convenience.

Regardless, if you use speed loader tubes with premeasured powder charges, and you practice, you can reload pretty quickly. A push-through speed load tube reloads as fast, or faster, than anything else I've seen. You uncap the end, dump in the main charge, run your rod down through the tube to start the ball/patch, then seat it and pull off the tube. It's literally just a few seconds. So I don't know what using pellets actually gains?

I'm also not really a fan of any substitute propellant in a flintlock. Again, I fail to see the point. You have to clean the bore when you shoot all of them, so if you gotta clean, then why quibble over the degree of dirty it is...?

My strong suggestion is just use black powder and be done with it.

The concept of a stainless gun in a synthetic stock seems good when you view it like you view a bolt action. In a flintlock? Meh....if it just is what you like, go for it, but the whole "all weather" thing in a flintlock is much less limited by your ability to make the lock work in wet weather than any impacts the weather has on the stock or the metal finish.

The advice about refining the pan/frizzen fit is good advice. You can also use petroleum jelly and/or lip balm to smear along the seam of the frizzen and pan, which helps isolate the priming charge from wet elements.

I use real BP and I have been out in rain and foggy weather with zero ignition issues.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I am with TDD on this one as well. I use BP and leave the substitutes on the dealer shelves.

I have found that to help the second ignition (2nd shot....what...me miss?) is that after the first shot, BP residue will be found on the pan, frizzen, lock. I carry those little packets of rubbing alcohol (Buy 'em at the pharmacy). Pull one out.....squeeze out the bulk of the alcohol and wipe down all the BP residue in the pan and the frizzen. BP residue will collect water like nobody's business...so remove the residue around the lock, and your second (and so on) shots will ignite much more consistently.

If your bore is fouled and causing you grief when loading, run that alcohol patch down the bore once or twice and loading is much easier. The alcohol will evaporate very quickly....unlike water which takes forever.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I gave up archery 30+ years ago for muzzleloaders.Had as many as 19 muzzys at one time but have since cut back a little.
You NEED a trip to Dixons and a trip when the gunmakers fair is also a good idea.

Dixons Muzzle Loading ? Muzzle Loading Shop ? Kempton, PA

Here is also some real good info on muzzleloading.

M/L Basics
This is excellent advise. Go see Greg Dixon at the store and introduce yourself as being new to the ML world. He will help you with everything - take a note pad and a pen (seriously).

:joyous:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TDD great point on the archery comparison. Thanks for the depth. I didn't look at it that way. When I buy bows I shoot every option and pick what works and fits best and I don't worry about the price point. When I get a custom recurve built I look at what I like and need and have it done. I need to find what I like and what "fit's" and learn to do it right.

I definitely like the traditional look and not the stainless. I'm going to make plans to get to Dixon's. My wife is heading to Ikea tomorrow maybe I need a road trip too!

Thanks again for the time everyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,946 Posts
If you go to Dixon's.....

1- The production rifles are in vertical gun racks along the wall in the back left of the store.

2- If you go straight along the counter as you walk in, keep going till you see flintlocks hanging above you. These are custom guns already made and being sold on consignment.

There's lots of other stuff...LOTS of other stuff...but that's where the guns are that you'll want to look at.

Assuming it'll be fairly quiet/slow, tell Greg what you're thinking about and what you are looking for. He'll answer your questions straight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like the Great Plains Rifle better.... Built one from a kit, did some modifications and carving in the stock with some inlays. It's pretty nice. Not as nice as the total custom rifle I built but I do like it a lot....

·
Registered
407 Posts
RMC / Oxyoke, makes a great flintlock also, They are a great company to deal with. I have a .50 cal. accusporter and it shoots real BP very good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. After shopping around, heading to Dixon's, and handling several muzzleloaders I went with the Lyman DeerStalker .50 caliber. I think for me it's a great place to begin this adventure. I felt like it held better for me than the Great Plains Rifle. I'm a shorter guy so the Deer Stalker just fit better. Now to get set up and firing it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts