The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting into flintlock hunting. My father did it every year, but I was never interested then, but I would like to get into it now. I was wondering where the best place to get started at with flintlocks and where can I get a rifle at a decent price for a beginner?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the Lyman Deerstalker in .54. The Lyan Trade Rifle is good also but no sling swivels. Of course the Lyman Great Plains rifle is hard to beat but a little long for brush work.

The PA pellet flint lock is pretty inexpensive but I have never owned one and don't like the looks of them but it seems they are popular even though they are only available in .50 cal.

A used TC or semi-custom flinter might be worth looking at as well.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
When I last checked, Traditions was running a pretty good sale on their web site for flintlock frontier rifles. Not the best but a solid beginner gun. If you buy a used gun, first get it checked out by somebody that knows muzzleloaders. For ease in carrying in the woods and cleaning, you may well be better off with a half stock, hooked brech gun. If you are near Berks County, make the pilgrimage to see the great Dixon at Dixon's muzzy shoppe. I you are near Chamberburg, go see Jimmy Culler at Scotland PA, Ft. Chambers Gun Shop. There are other shops areound the state.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Tank, a double set trigger is an amazing contraption. Imagine having a moustrap for a trigger. pulling one trigger sets the trap and pretty much just touching the second trigger sets off the gun. Unlike many cartridge guns, alot of single trigger muzzleloaders can strain your pinky with their ten pound trigger pulls.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
tank38 said:
I'm about an hour south of Pittsburgh.
Try the Old Westmorland Rifles a muzzleloading club located on the grounds of the Latrobe Sportsman's club. They have shoots year-round. PM sent with contact info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts