The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just got my first crossbow and am looking foreward to sighting it in. I have read through this forum but still would like to ask people with more experience about which bolts and broadheads to go with.

The crossbow is a barnett wildcat c5, and i think i would like to go with the 100g or 125g american braodhead co. sonics, not real sure which yet. Any recommendations as to what bolts to use,?

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Arrowhead has tested just about every crossbow and has bolt/broadhead combinations worked upo for each one. Wait till he chimes in before you drop the bucks or send him a PM. He will steer ya straight even if you don't buy from him.

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have tested the ABC 100gr sonic pro's. Great head. Only fixed head that flew better(barely better)was the G5 striker. They even beat the slick tricks!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I would go with the Gold Tip Laser II's on that bow. We tested them with the 4" vanes and got great results. The G5 Striker shot well in every bow we tested it in. We build all of our arrows for a 100 grain head.

·
Registered
698 Posts
G.T. laser II's with a 125gr. Thunderhead shoots good in my Equinox!(Arrowhead) made my G.T.'s can't say enough good things about the help he gave me!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I shoot the Muzzy 3 blade 100grain broadheads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm using GT L-II's with 2" Blazers and brass inserts with 125 gr. heads. They weight 427 gr. As far as broadheads go, that's a real can of worms IMHO. I've tried both Slicks and Sonic Pro's and am really not happy with either as far as how they shoot compared to my field points. I used Sonics for the last part of the season and they shoot exactly 6'' high at 20 yds compared to field tips of the exact same weight. In fact the Sonics were 2 gr. heavier. They have got to be planing. The Slick Tricks were actually worse at 6" high and 2" to the left at 20. May just go with Spitfire mechanicals next season, not sure yet. I'd like to try The Atom, but they are very pricey. I'm looking for a broadhead to fly the same as a field tip from my StrykeForce and have not found it yet.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Trader Jack, have you tried the Red Hot crosspro 100 FX broadhead? The Strykeforce is going to be difficult to get into tune with any broadhead, unless you build an arrow around 525 grains to slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
IRONCITYDEMO said:
What length of Gold Tip Laser II's should we be using on this bow?
Barnett-

Panzer=16" arrow
Predator = 22" arrow
Quad 400 = 22" arrow
RC-150 = 16" arrow
Revolution = 22" arrow
Wild Cat C5 = 20" arrow

·
Registered
89 Posts
No I have not tried the Red Hots yet. I'm not having trouble with grouping at all. Once I get it in the groups are very accurate with either broadhead. They just don't shoot like the field tips. I just talked with the folks at g5 and they basically told me the same thing. It's a crapshoot for each bow at those speeds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This won't be that popular of a recommendation but I'll say it any way. Sight in with what you're going to hunt with. Buy the cross bow BLOCK and shoot the exact same bolts and braodheads you're going to hunt with. I shoot 125gr Spitfires they do the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts