The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you think T/C has dropped the Renegade and Cherokee years ago.I would love for them to bring them back.Lyman makes a good gun with the Deerstalker and G/P rifle but I would love to be able to buy a new T/C Renegade or Cherokee. I like a Hawken but love the carbine style.I have a Firestorm but want a flinty in wood.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
I just talked to a guy that just ordered a new T/C .50 Renegade Flintlock with double triggers from T/C this week. they will still make you one. Ban news is, for a bout 500 bucks.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
I do however think it is time for them to bring the Renegade back in 50 and 54- percussion and flintlock.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That,s cheaper than their Hawken.I was goin to call them and ask them but figured if it wasn,t on their site then they must not offer them.I was excited the other day when they sent me a e/mail newsletter statin their new products for 2010.It was short lived though cause they were just inlines.I will call em Monday morning.Thanks.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I think what brought an end to the Cherokee along with the Seneca was the fire they had in the 90's.
If only they would bring the Cherokee and Seneca back in FLINT,they would sell.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
Yep, that fire ruined alot of good things from T/C including the good prices. After they re-built their prices went thru the roof and they cut way back on traditional guns.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i dont understand why anyone would PAY alot more for a gun when they can but a better built gun a better shooting gun for less money the lyman will out shoot the T/C any day

·
6,450 Posts
why buy new when their are so many good used ones out there?

·
6,450 Posts
mountainman it isnt about money ive got a traditions hawken and it shoots pretty darn good.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was gonna ask you fellas how ypu like your Lymans.I would love to find a new in box flinty that someone bought and just never used.There has to be alot of them layin around.I have 2 friends that have a T/C Renegade and Hawken that they bought new in the 70,s.Beautiful guns and well made.How do you think todays Hawken measures up to the old in quality?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hey treestand91 i understand money not a problem was just saying i think T/C is way over priced for the quality of the gun i think youre paying for the name thats my opion and i also think the lylman is way better built and a better shootin gun for the money

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The older TC's had a problem in lock design as far as the strike angle.The flint smashes into the frizzen instead if following the frizzen angle to shave it.They improved on them and if you send your old one back,they will send a new design in return.They drop right in.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
I feel the T/C`s are way overpriced for what you get now and Lyman GP is also. The best deal now is the Lyman Deerstalker bought right. Me, I have an older T/C Hawken and Renegade, next will be a custom TVM Early Virginia. No way the T/C Hawken is worth 600 now

·
Registered
461 Posts
traditions has a sale going on right now, on thier frontier rifle, as well as thier mountain rifle.mountain rifle seconds marked down to 280.00, from 765.00 the new standard run is marked down to 349.00 i believe!. have a friend who has been shooting muzzy, for a long time swears dime for dime dollar for dollar, traditions is as accurate as any of them

·
6,450 Posts
big bucks only said:
traditions has a sale going on right now, on thier frontier rifle, as well as thier mountain rifle.mountain rifle seconds marked down to 280.00, from 765.00 the new standard run is marked down to 349.00 i believe!. have a friend who has been shooting muzzy, for a long time swears dime for dime dollar for dollar, traditions is as accurate as any of them
+1

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I seen nothing on Traditions web site indicating the sale.I called T/C,s Custom Shop.They will custom build you a Renegade in flint or percussion in 50,54,or 58 caliber.$479.95+$21.95 shipping.12-14 week delivery.Plus the lifetime warranty included.I too think the Lyman would be a fine rifle for a great price.But being able to buy a Renny BRAND NEW W/WARRANTY I think will be to good to pass up.I,m still goin to think about it,but it appears to be a done deal.Now which caliber?LOL.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
good ole boy said:
I seen nothing on Traditions web site indicating the sale.I called T/C,s Custom Shop.They will custom build you a Renegade in flint or percussion in 50,54,or 58 caliber.$479.95+$21.95 shipping.12-14 week delivery.Plus the lifetime warranty included.I too think the Lyman would be a fine rifle for a great price.But being able to buy a Renny BRAND NEW W/WARRANTY I think will be to good to pass up.I,m still goin to think about it,but it appears to be a done deal.Now which caliber?LOL.
Go with the .54 The ball is 50 grains heavier than the .50 and you still get 100 to a box. The .58 is great, but hard to find stuff for it locally and only 50 in a box. Will they make it for you with double triggers or only single trigger? I am very tempted myself to get one in .54

·
Registered
614 Posts
If'n your going to shoot roundballs bigger is always better. I own 50,54,58,and 62 cals. The 58 is my favorite go to roundball gun, It's a Cabelas carbine made by invest arms that I converted from percussion to flint and installed a TC Lock, L&R locks will also fit. Very accurate and being a short carbine handles well, also very light making an all day hunt very comfortable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts