The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New T/C Hawkin

Picked up a Hawkin the other day and I need some help with the best load to shoot and the best projectile. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Re: New T/C Hawkin

Depends what you want to do with it. If shooting a PRB start with around 70-75 of either 2f or 3f.

Eventhough not traditional I shoot 44 handgun bullets out of mine with really good results. I shot pa pellets out of mine for a little while, and they shot good too. Just a little harder to load.

I've never found a load or projectile that didn't at least give acceptable hunting accuracy. Some were better than others, but all in all just pick something and try it.

For what it's worth there are two T/C's and one Cabelas hawken rifle in my family, and all shoot about the same. PRB's seemed to shoot about the worst though. Not so bad that I wouldn't hunt with them, but not quite as good as some of the other stuff I tried.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

If it is new as in "Brand New",the 1st thing you want to do is get that crud out of the barrel before you shoot it.
Knowing the caliber would also help us give direction.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I don't have a tc hawkin, but I recommend that you spend as much time at the range as possible. Make that flinter be a part of your body

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

do you just want to shoot at targets or is for hunting T/C makes these sabots called cheap shot they work really will for hunting. just remember that T/C barrles are a 1;48 twist i have a older one and it shoots rb pretty good you will just have to spend time to find out what load ,patch the gun likes just clean the barrel out real good before you start shooting and enjoy it will taske some time and alot of shooting befor you and the gun find out what loads the gun likes so enjoy

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

Most 50 cal TC like,but are not limited to,80grs of FFg,.015-.018 patch,and a .490 or .495 RB.Find what it like to eat now and don't wait till late season is here.Time spent at the range will reward you when that deer steps out.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I spend a lot of time at the range anyways so this will just give me another reason. I have a T/C Firestorn that I have had great success with in the past and found a load that shoots really well.
Does anyone have any success shooting the maxi-ball or the maxi-hunter?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

They both will give decent groups also.If you are going to use them,I would recomend a felt wad over the powder to prevent any blowby that might happen.Just a word of warning.If you hunt with them,keep your barrel up and reseat often.They can slide off the powder charge when barrel is carried pointed down and when fired can ring a barrel or worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts