The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after over 60 years of tar paper(pitching every couple years), couple shingle roofs.... my new metal camp roof was recently finished!! I haven't seen it yet but have received pics from the builder and am extremely pleased. Went with Ideal Roofing AmeriCana 29 ga metal roof. Carries a 40 year warranty so when I hit 106 warranty runs out!!:smile2: Went with white to help keep camp cooler during summer months plus metal should help in snow slide off. Builder shimmed a few sways out that have been there many years. Most all the camps around me are going with metal.

Certainly no fancy Hilton but means all the world to me with all the fond memories accompanying this ole shack in the woods!!:smile2:

Matt Rinker builder from Hillsgrove did the job(PH 570-924-3859). I was extremely pleased from the time of my first contact to his final completion.

Banned
Oh yeah that sounds good now. What are you going to do 41 years from now when the roof is leaking? >:)

Reactions: Loggy

Banned
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah that sounds good now. What are you going to do 41 years from now when the roof is leaking? >:)
Next time will just look for another roof with a Lifetime Warranty!!:smile2:

Banned
Good plan, but a little late!>:)

Reactions: Loggy

Registered
Excellent. I'll have to check it out when I drive by this weekend. Providing the road still exists that is.

Premium Member
Ravin R9
Looks Good, Best move you could have made.
Ours has been up for 18 years now on our Camp and still looks new.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take those gutters down before winter freeze and snow....
Was my initial thoughts too Ron but per builder the sturdy gutters/downspouts help direct water away from foundation avoiding rot etc. The roof does have a 12" ice/water shield under original layer.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Looks good. I'd like to hear some stories that place could tell...
As so would the Mrs!!:smile_big:

Kidding aside....It has been a big part of my hunting life spanning from first hunting trip for "Buck Season" back in 1965 at age 14 with Dad, Pappy, three Uncles & one other member up to current. All have since passed except me & one uncle who no longer hunts. Camp deed was transferred to me back in 1987 upon my Dad's passing. So many fond memories.

Registered
I know what you're saying. My great-grandfather and grandfather built ours in 1957, then it went to my dad and now I have it. Many times while I'll be sitting there alone, I wish the place could talk. There are lots nicer camps than mine, but for sentimental reasons I wouldn't sell it for anything. Good for you that you have such a place.

Registered
Looks good Loggy. Where the heck have you been for the last 5 or so years? Glad to see you back.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good Loggy. Where the heck have you been for the last 5 or so years? Glad to see you back.
Hi Va/Pa Hunter!! Thanks!! I retired a couple years ago and sorta drifted out of the mainstream for a while. I also have been busy on a new "camp" project in Chincoteague, VA....to help keep the Mrs happy plus gives me a good fishing/crabbing base. Been there a lot last few years chasing flounder & eating crabs!:smile2:

Registered
Loggy , where in the Chincoteague are you located, ,my acenstry is Accomack County even a small town, Mears, Va. is the family name

Banned
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loggy , where in the Chincoteague are you located, ,my acenstry is Accomack County even a small town, Mears, Va. is the family name
Hi Ron. I'm on the west side of Chincoteague Bay on Wallops Island near the NASA Space Center. My place is less than 50 yards from dual boat ramp/slips which was a big selling point(to me). Place has running water, AC, CATV....all the stuff my Sullivan County Camp doesn't have(or need:smile2:). Really like Accomack County's slow pace of life & friendly folks there!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts