The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
what was the problem with the bolts. if you had to change a manifold or gasket some might break but that was due to galvanic corrosion and pretty much all manf. suggest not reusing the original bolts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
what was the problem with the bolts. if you had to change a manifold or gasket some might break but that was due to galvanic corrosion and pretty much all manf. suggest not reusing the original bolts
I had two 2500hd's and had to replace the bolts on both.My buddy was a shop foreman at a GM garage and he said it was a constant issue.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There all junk for the price you pay for them!!! LOL I have a 2017 GMC 1500 pretty much decked all the way out and do love the ride and towing is great but the most impressive truck I have ever been in was a Ford Raptor going through the woods. Now those are impressive off road trucks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
we were SE pas largest gm dealership i removed a ton of broken bolts but the majority came in for leaky gasket or rusted or cracked manifolds. the bolt issue was when you went to remove them and they would snap off in the head. galvanic corrosion is when 2 dissimilar metals make contact alum. head to steel bolt. the replacment bolt threads were coated . i dont ever recall us changing bolts just to change the bolts. between co workers, family, friends and my own 3 silverados i have never heard of any recalls or had any issues for bolts . your buddy probally got it under warranty for gaskets and replaced with new bolts which is sop.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
we were SE pas largest gm dealership i removed a ton of broken bolts but the majority came in for leaky gasket or rusted or cracked manifolds. the bolt issue was when you went to remove them and they would snap off in the head. galvanic corrosion is when 2 dissimilar metals make contact alum. head to steel bolt. the replacment bolt threads were coated . i dont ever recall us changing bolts just to change the bolts. between co workers, family, friends and my own 3 silverados i have never heard of any recalls or had any issues for bolts . your buddy probally got it under warranty for gaskets and replaced with new bolts which is sop.
I'm talking about the bolts just breaking.I had it happen on two different trucks and the manifolds and gaskets were never touched prior.One day you just notice an exhaust leak.Actually my one buddy was a shop foreman at a GM dealership and another buddy was a service manager and a different one.They both claimed that was common.It was a cheap fix both times but a pia getting the broken ones out.I was able to get a couple out with vise grips but had to tack a nut onto a couple other ones.I also broke a couple others off even though I soaked them with liquid wrench a few times per day before changing them.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I'm talking about the bolts just breaking.I had it happen on two different trucks and the manifolds and gaskets were never touched prior.One day you just notice an exhaust leak.Actually my one buddy was a shop foreman at a GM dealership and another buddy was a service manager and a different one.They both claimed that was common.It was a cheap fix both times but a pia getting the broken ones out.I was able to get a couple out with vise grips but had to tack a nut onto a couple other ones.I also broke a couple others off even though I soaked them with liquid wrench a few times per day before changing them.
been a while since I worked at the dealer but the early, something like 03 and back, Silverado's had 8mm bolts with 10m heads iirc. There was no recall but they updated the bolts rock have bigger heads. It helped but they still came off just not as often

·
Banned
274 Posts
I've owned many trucks in all brands over my years, and my favorite is the Toyota Tacoma....back in 2010 I wanted a full size truck, I looked them all over.....I went with the Tundra, I agree the gas mileage sucks but reliability for the Tundra vs others can't be compared.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I've owned many trucks in all brands over my years, and my favorite is the Toyota Tacoma....back in 2010 I wanted a full size truck, I looked them all over.....I went with the Tundra, I agree the gas mileage sucks but reliability for the Tundra vs others can't be compared.
I pound my trucks.They go where I need to go and I plow with them and haul an 11k lb horse trailer almost every weekend plus hay wagons all summer.For years I did almost everything with a 1/2 ton silverado except I towed a smaller horse trailer.I bought a couple 2500 hd's with a 6.0 and then a duramax.Other than changing the oil and air filter,I don't maintain them very well either.I never had one major problem with any of them and all had over 200k miles when I got rid of them.As far as reliability goes,I couldn't complain about any of them.I drive a 2500 Ram now but that's only because a buddy of mine owns a chrysler dealership.I was reluctant to buy one but almost had to,just out of loyalty.I have 36k miles on it in about 15 months and honestly,it's the nicest truck I've ever had.The jury is till out but I'd buy another one at this point.Nothing against Toyotas but I don't see how they could be uncomparable to a GM when it comes to reliability.I bought a bank repo 05 2500hd.I almost didn't buy it because the previous owner obviously used it very hard and had a plow on it.It had 56k miles on it and the bank excepted my ridiculous offer.It wasn't super clean and I got such a good deal that I beat the crap out of it and never really took care of it.I was taking my daughter to a barrel race on the other side of Ohio in April one year.I had to put the truck in 4wd to get out of the barn and broke several land speed speed records getting out there.I probably averaged 75mph on dry roads pulling a horse trailer in 4wd.I didn't realize it until we got out there and I felt the front end binding a little when I turned into the arena.The tranny got so hot that transmissions fluid was spraying all over the place from a breather.I never changed the tranny fluid and my buddy is still driving that same truck.Other than new rockers,he hasn't done anything to it.My only complaint with that truck was the gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I am a car/truck guy and hard to please! I still own a 1971 Chevy 4x4 short bed that still has all it's original metal and a 1969 396 l78 Chevelle SS . My 2015 Silverado is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned period! It now has over 40,000 miles on it and the lifetime MPG average is 21 plus and that includes ALL types of driving. I just flat out love the thing!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Got a chuckle out of Doug saying he drove to Ohio in FWD with his truck.

Bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 in '06 and didn't have many miles on it, when I went down to Messick's in Elizabethtown to buy a compact tractor for up at camp, pulling my double axle flatbed.

Had to put the truck in 4x4 high to get the trailer up out of our backyard, forgot to shift it back into 2WD. So drove it down there and back again, still in 4x4 high. Probably about a 70 mile round trip and I was rolling along at a good clip most of the way.

One thing I don't like about GM's controls, is how small the indicator lights are on the 4x4 knob and some other controls. They are literally invisible in the daytime, not much more noticeable at night. My 2014 Silverado at least has a warning that comes up on the Driver info panel. The GMC didn't have that feature.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
So it sounds like GMs get more reliable if you beat and neglect them :)
Nope,just a testament that they're reliable vehicles.I had a 99 silverado with that small 4.8L.I used to pull a 2 horse trailer with that all over the state and never took great care of it.I sold that to my same buddy who bought my 04 2500.That thing was still running for him with almost 300k miles on it but the underneath eventually rotted out.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.