The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've run a 2001 silverado for 160k and a 2009 silverado for 130k miles with the cylinder deactivation system and never had an issue with plugs. Changed them at 100k and they still looked new..

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
I've seen stories about premature cylinder wear/oil consumption problems in earlier 5.3Ls with fuel deactivation, but never any yips about plug failures?

Most mileage I've put on one yet, was the 2010 Z71 with about 58K on it and no issues. That Silverado struggled to get 18 MPG highway over four years.

The 2014 does over 20 MPG combined driving regularly and has hit 24 MPG highway on several occasions.

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
Had a new '02 S-10 ZR2 for four years. Extended cab, 5 speed. Great little truck, until you wanted to pull a trailer, which is why I went to an '06 Sierra 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. BTW, that S-10 never did better than about 18 MPG highway.

Ditched the Wrangler SRAs that came on my '14 Silverado and put a new set of Hankook ATMs on it. What a difference on wet roads, as these tires do not spin like the Goodyears did when pulling out.

Only downside, dropped the fuel mileage just a tad. Went from around 15 local, to 14.4. Dropped the highway average about one MPG, but I really like the Hankooks so far. Now running 41 PSI, which is still a bit below max PSI with these tires.

Everyone I know that has them, loves their ATMs, so we'll see how it goes come winter? They are fairly quiet for an aggressive tread tire, about the same as the Cooper AT/3s I had on my 2010 Silverado Z71.

Found out a few weeks ago, why someone I know went to a new RAM, instead of another Tundra. He told me it was because he couldn't make a deal on a new Tundra.

One of his buds told me the real reason, was the crappy mileage he got with the last two Tundras. The new RAM gets about 5 MPG better fuel mileage.

I'll stick with my Silverado.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here is my mileage between my latest oil changes on my 15 Silverado with the 5.3l. I also have a cap on it that is about 2" higher than the cab...Mostly back roads and short stretches to work. No long highway drives and 20 MPG. I'm Pleased!!!

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
You don't have near enough "stuff" in that truck to survive a blizzard, severe storm, tree across the road, or the Zombie Apocolypze - with that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
Got back from six days at camp this afternoon. 18 MPG combined for 564 miles. Up and back again was about 330 miles, rest was multiple trips to town (15 mile round trips), two 45 mile round trips over to Potter and back, 30 mile round trip into Steuben Co. NY and driving around gawking at deer, etc (roughly 230 miles of local driving, much of it on gravel roads).

The new Hankook ATMs are costing me at least one full MPG highway, over the Wranglers that came on it. But what the heck?

Averaged 21 MPG today on the trip home and some of that was at 75+ MPH, keeping up with the traffic flow on the northern parts of Rt. 15. It does better at 70 MPH, even with at least a quarter ton of tools'n toys.

·
Registered
22,671 Posts
I just sold my duramax and bought a new Ram 2500 with a 6.4.I struggled with the decision to buy a Chrysler but my buddy is a part owner of the dealership and it would be the equivalent to cheating on my wife if I bought one somewhere else.So far I like everything about the truck but the Jury will be out for a while.I keep waiting for the tranny to drop onto the pavement but he threw in an extended warranty.In any event,I'm getting a legit 18mpg just running around.It gets thirsty when I hook a horse trailer up but otherwise,it's pretty good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's excellent milage for that motor. I've had my 6.4 for 6 months and I average around 14 mpg which is right on par with the research I did before I bought it. Of course if I was worried about mpg I would have bought a Prius

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
My 2014 was two years old in October and now has all but 28,000 miles on it.

Still does over 20 MPG on highway driving. Much of the way home from deer camp this month, was doing close to 22 while cruising along at 72 MPH on the four lanes - but the local average really drops in cold weather. Noticed that the first year I had it.

Spring, summer and fall, it will average between 14-15 on local driving. Was better when I got it, if it wasn't loaded down, but that's now the norm. Easily over 600lbs of tools and such in the bed now.

Last week when temps were in the low 20s, barely got 13 MPG around town.

Two recalls to deal with when I take it back to the dealer next month. Both having to do with seat belt retractors. Like this truck about as much or more, than any other new truck I've ever had. Especially since I replaced the junk Goodyear OEM tires, with a set of Hankook ATMs last summer.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the Silverado's is the amount of room in the back seat of the crew cab compared to the F-150. Ford absolutely destroys them and Dodge in that aspect and that's a big selling point to me with 3 kids

+1

The cab space was the number one factor me. I have three kids too that are still in car seats.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I just bought the 2016 Z-71 crew cab short box in hot red, traded my 2012 same truck in on it. The new one is much much more powerful, they fixed the door handle, the front door edge to get your feet in and a few other things...but I don't like the transmission , don't see the need for all this shifting, down/up/hill/grade/low/high...the tranny is way too much and is just not needed..gas is around 21-23 with best of 26...but it is pretty !!

·
Registered
LET'S GO BRANDON
3,282 Posts
I have a 2016 1500 Midnight Edition and the look hasn't really changed that much for '17. I'm a Chevy guy and thats all I will ever buy. I walk out to my driveway every morning with a big smile on my face!

61 - 80 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.