The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Only "good" set of OE tires I've had in the past 14 years, were the Bridgestone H/Ts that came on the '06 Sierra. Pretty good in mud/snow for highway tires, decent on wet roads, no issues with them at all.

They're the ones I gave away with 40-some thousand on 'em. Wear was even, probably still had about 3/32 tread depth.

Next truck came with Bridgestone A/Ts, which were awful all around, noisy and wore unevenly, despite being rotated twice per year. I'm pretty fussy about proper inflation, didn't matter.

Had the FE alignment checked/re-checked, always within specs, front tires finally started to become cupped on the shoulders - last straw.

They were replaced w/Coopers (on another set of wheels), put the A/Ts back on the truck when I swapped the truck. Doubt they had 30K on them, as they were run less than three years?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Bigbear, very surprised to hear that, with the luck I've had with my 2 sets so far. I was told they weren't a "great" tire, but i'm not arguing with success, so i'll stick with them till they let me down, knock on wood, haven't had a flat yet on this truck.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Since we were talking about MPG in this Thread I decided to check it a little. So I cleared the Trip B section on my DIC and set out to Pheasant Camp and here are the results. The round trip was 320 miles and the average was 26.4 MPG...that's 26.4 for 320 miles!!! The weather was in the 90's, so the air was used most of the time, there was some holiday traffic and it's mostly highway, but this INCLUDES the back roads to Camp and around home. My 400 mileage average is now at 25.4 and lifetime is 20.3 with 7786 miles!
To say Im impressed is an understatement! This is a 5500 lb. 4WD, 355HP, truck that can lay down to dark strips of rubber if thats what you want and get these kind of MPG numbers.
Oh yea...I'm real happy with my truck!!!

GM GOT IT RIGHT BOYS!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
FLDBRED said:
Since we were talking about MPG in this Thread I decided to check it a little. So I cleared the Trip B section on my DIC and set out to Pheasant Camp and here are the results. The round trip was 320 miles and the average was 26.4 MPG...that's 26.4 for 320 miles!!! The weather was in the 90's, so the air was used most of the time, there was some holiday traffic and it's mostly highway, but this INCLUDES the back roads to Camp and around home. My 400 mileage average is now at 25.4 and lifetime is 20.3 with 7786 miles!
To say Im impressed is an understatement! This is a 5500 lb. 4WD, 355HP, truck that can lay down to dark strips of rubber if thats what you want and get these kind of MPG numbers.
Oh yea...I'm real happy with my truck!!!

GM GOT IT RIGHT BOYS!
Very impressive. Just curious, have you hand calculated your mileage to check the accuracy against the on board computer. My Ford's computer is off by 6% (overestimating mileage.) I'm curious to see it this is a industry wide issue or one peculiar to my make and model of truck. That being said, I'd be very happy with the mph you're getting too.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
No I haven't , my results are unscientific , but I can tell you that it's gotta be real close to accurate. I've been going to this same camp since 1986 driving different types of vehicles, some couldn't make it there and back without a refill! lol. I still have over 1/2 a tank that will last all week for work! It could possibly be off a little but I don't think by much.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yea they might be a little optimistic. That doesn't bode well for my buddies new Tundra, his on board computer reads he's getting 16/17, so if it's over estimating he's in not to good of shape!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So I test drove a 2016 Silverado the other weekend. I must say it ran very well (as you'd expect in a brand new truck). The one I drove had 3.08 gears. I have to imagine the 3.42s would give you a bit more get up and go from a dead stop. Does anyone know what is "standard" in these trucks: the 3.08 vs. the 3.42s? The mileage some of you guys are reporting is terrific. I have an 09 Ram now and can't get better than 16.2 according to the computer, and that's being generous.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I think the computer is a pretty accurate way to calculate MPG. The thing about the manual way is how do you know that you are getting the same amount in the tank every time you fill up. Seems like all the gas stations pumps are different. I had one kick off so I rounded up to next dollar and when I started the truck it was still a tick under full.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
My 2010 Z71 had 3.08 gears. Crappy acceleration, compared to the truck I had before it and the one I have now, both with 3.42 gears. No slouch off the line, if that's "your thing"? I fall victim to it now and then, as required.

That 3.08 gearing might work if one lives where there are few hills?

Much prefer the 3.42 for all around driving. Almost 500 miles of combined highway/local driving this past weekend going to camp and back.

Fuel mileage a tad under 20 MPG when I got home yesterday, much of that in the mountains of Potter/Tioga. It took a hit sitting in traffic several times yesterday, on the way home.

Going to camp and back without all the local driving up there like I did this past weekend, generally results in closer to 21 MPG averages.

·
Registered
179 Posts
RobOz said:
I think the computer is a pretty accurate way to calculate MPG. The thing about the manual way is how do you know that you are getting the same amount in the tank every time you fill up. Seems like all the gas stations pumps are different. I had one kick off so I rounded up to next dollar and when I started the truck it was still a tick under full.
I hand calculated mine and was within 2/10ths so I would say the computer is accurate.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MathewsMan31 said:
So I test drove a 2016 Silverado the other weekend. I must say it ran very well (as you'd expect in a brand new truck). The one I drove had 3.08 gears. I have to imagine the 3.42s would give you a bit more get up and go from a dead stop. Does anyone know what is "standard" in these trucks: the 3.08 vs. the 3.42s? The mileage some of you guys are reporting is terrific. I have an 09 Ram now and can't get better than 16.2 according to the computer, and that's being generous.
There is BIG difference with these trucks concerning the 3.08 VS 3.42! You might think the 3.08 would give you supior mileage but unless you do ALL highway driving the 3.42 will get you better numbers, remember these trucks are 5600 lbs. and that's a lot of mass to get rolling. Plus the performance is night and day and if you ever wanted to add larger tires tires the 3.08 would kill you! Long story short, make sure you get 3.42 or better and of course the G8O.
A lot depends on what package you get as far as what ratio comes with it! For instance the ALL Star package I got had the 3.42 and G80 included in it. Most of the Trailering Packages have the 3.42 and the Max Trailering has the 3.73 option available. Getting the right ratio is important so be diligent, I turned down some good deals because it didn't have the rear I wanted.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes, if you have the VIN number you can get the build sheet, look online for Vin decoders, etc.. Or you can look in the glove box and if the tag is in good shape it'll tell you!

GU4 = 3.08
GU5 = 3.23
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

G80 = LOCKING REAR

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MathewsMan31 said:
So another question... If I'm looking at used trucks, is there a way I can tell what gears are in the rear? Is this called out somewhere in the vin number?
If you really want to do your homework, look for one with the NHT Max Trailering Package.
Depending on the year, you get.

A larger 9.76 Rear

The 3.73 gears

A larger radiator

Heavier rear springs

And other goodies.

My son has this package with the 6.2. It's just an OUTSTANDING drivetrain!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Ford had issue blowing spark plugs right out the block taken a coil pack with it. 2001-2005 trucks. They sell a kit to repair the spark plug hole. Since then haven't heard any issue on any trucks be it Ford,Dodge,GM,ext. My Silverado has 76,000 miles and runs like a champ

41 - 60 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.