The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have a 15 half ton I love it. I'm also getting great mpg first trip to camp and back averaged 22.5. Plenty of power and rides like dream.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Impressive, My 2010 Silverado with the 5.3 never got better then 20 mpg since new. This is the longest I have ever kept a Silverado. Almost 7 yrs old. Been all over this great country of ours and never miss a beat. with 75,000 miles on it. Hopefully my next Silverado will be as good. Smoke'n Mack to your ? Yes

·
Registered
755 Posts
My 2015 double cab Silverado 5.3l has around 16000mi on it now and has a cap that is taller than the cab. Even with running 4 heavy 10 ply tires all winter the lifetime average is around 19.5!!!! Yes they also shut down to 4 cyl on the highway...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
Do these new Chevy's still shut cylinders down at cruising speed?
Yes, it's called Active Fuel Management. There are a few devices on the market to eliminate this without going the route of a complete retune. Some people just want it in V8 mode all the time.
I am VERY picky about my vehicles and I can tell you the shift from 8 to 4 is completely seamless. The only way I know it switched is to look at the Driver Information Center. It took a while But GM got it right!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
kish75 said:
My 2015 double cab Silverado 5.3l has around 16000mi on it now and has a cap that is taller than the cab. Even with running 4 heavy 10 ply tires all winter the lifetime average is around 19.5!!!! Yes they also shut down to 4 cyl on the highway...
That's a very impressive average over 16,000 miles with that combination.

The contractors that come in to where I work are always raving about these new Silverado's and they beat the [censored] out of them.

And it's not just the MPG that's impressive this NEW 5.3 really can get up and go!

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
My 2012 2500 HD with the 6.0, now has 146,000 on it, I just put the 2nd set of tires on it, and changed the front brakes at 130,000. Other than that, I have done absolutely NOTHING to this truck, but drive it. Not sure what more you can ask from a vehicle. Still have my 03 1500 at home, use on occasion, just had to replace the trans at 251,000, original motor, rear, even the frickin original exhaust system is still on the thing, can't believe it. Just now had to take to get a little rust below the one back door taken care of. Yes, I'm a chevy truck die hard, but only because they have treated me extremely well!!

PS. the 6.0 gasser averages about 13.5-14.5 mpg, since new.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a set of 4 17" six lug steel wheels for a chevy advertised in the classified section if anyone is interested in them for winter tires...

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
My first 5.3L was a new 2006 GMC Sierra extended cab 4x4 w/3.42 gears. Had over 500 miles on it before I ever "stuck my foot in 'er" to see what it had.

It had plenty, surprised the heck out of me. Fastest truck I'd owned since the '76 Chevy short bed with a re-worked 350 in it, that I had back in the 80s.

The Sierra was a good truck, traded it on a 2010 Silverado Z71 w/3.08 gears that was a dog off the line, but ran well once wound up.

That one had AFM, but got awful fuel mileage. Probably because the tall gears were no benefit on hilly roads? About the best fuel mileage that thing ever got on the highway, was around 18 MPG?

The 2014 Silverado double cab with the six speed tranny and 3.42 gears, is a different critter all around. Great mileage, plenty of get up and go. At my age, probably the last truck I'll ever own? Just turned over 20,000 miles last week.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
dmccoy1 said:
My 2012 2500 HD with the 6.0, now has 146,000 on it, I just put the 2nd set of tires on it, and changed the front brakes at 130,000. Other than that, I have done absolutely NOTHING to this truck, but drive it. Not sure what more you can ask from a vehicle. Still have my 03 1500 at home, use on occasion, just had to replace the trans at 251,000, original motor, rear, even the frickin original exhaust system is still on the thing, can't believe it. Just now had to take to get a little rust below the one back door taken care of. Yes, I'm a chevy truck die hard, but only because they have treated me extremely well!!

PS. the 6.0 gasser averages about 13.5-14.5 mpg, since new.
That truck gotta to have wings or you hit one to many buttons are your keyboard
.Any Co.that could make tires get milage like that would have a monopoly of the tire industry.

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
Never been one to stretch the life out of a set of pickup tires. They get down to a certain point and they're gone for a new set, especially ahead of winter.

Farthest I've ever gone was about 40,000 on the set of OEM Bridgestones that came on the Sierra. It got new gums that fall, gave the old ones to a feller here that needed tires better than what he had at the time.

Not too fond of the Goodyear Wranglers that came on the current Silverado. Worst tires I've ever seen on a wet road. Probably be a set of Coopers on it come fall.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Sorry if it was confusing, yes, The original tires that came with the truck were Goodyear SRA's, I replaced them at 71K, I just put another set on it at 142K, I got 71K out of each set. To be honest, they didn't "look" like they even needed it, still had decent tread, but since I drive the truck so much, I noticed it in the ride, etc. And replaced. Goodyear SRA's are not a expensive tire, which is why I was very surprised with the life i'm getting out of them. I know i'm not switching, as long as they last. Just fyi, they cost me $211 per tire, put on, or 20" tire, very reasonable.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
dmccoy1 said:
Sorry if it was confusing, yes, The original tires that came with the truck were Goodyear SRA's, I replaced them at 71K, I just put another set on it at 142K, I got 71K out of each set. To be honest, they didn't "look" like they even needed it, still had decent tread, but since I drive the truck so much, I noticed it in the ride, etc. And replaced. Goodyear SRA's are not a expensive tire, which is why I was very surprised with the life i'm getting out of them. I know i'm not switching, as long as they last. Just fyi, they cost me $211 per tire, put on, or 20" tire, very reasonable.
Consider yourself lucky. I had an 05 Titan with SRA's that had 11 flats in 22k miles. They were that bad I just kept the spare in the bed. The last 2 f150's I bought had them and I refused any deal until the dealership swapped them for something different.

·
Registered
26,157 Posts
One flat on the '14 Silverado so far (knock on wood).

Ran over a small bolt about a half hour from arriving at camp last summer. Running on the rim within seconds of the warning light coming on, couldn't even get off the road. Just a big enough hole that a plug wouldn't seal it (carry plugs and have a 12V compressor in the truck).

Bought one new Goodyear, but hated to. Probably only about 9K on the truck at the time. They'll all be gone come fall, at maybe 25K?

·
Administrator
31,892 Posts
Not too fond of the Goodyear Wranglers that came on the current Silverado.
My 91 Dodge came with GY Wranglers on it. They were shot around 12k miles. Center of tread was worn down, as if they were over-inflated but they never were. Friend that had the local garage said that was common with those tires. Haven't bought any Goodyear skids since.

21 - 40 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.