The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
When it was time for a new truck I initionaly was looking hard at the new Colorado and it is a fine truck. My Dealer said he could give me a well equipted Silverado for a lower price. So I took the two trucks for extensive test rides down the same roads. The Colorado handled more like a sports car and was nice, but it couldn't match the ride of the Silverado...nothing can!
This truck is one of the best riding vehicles you'll ever drive in.
On a recent trip to Pheasant Camp my trucks 400 mile average was 24MPG! For a 4WD V8 truck to get that kind of "average" over 400mi. to me is incredible! The truck can also throw down some impressive track numbers if that your thing.

The air dam was added by GM to squeeze every drop of gas for cafe numbers. Most people see only a 1/2 MPG difference when removed and it comes off easily.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It's the L83 5.3, 6SP auto, 3.42 rear gears. It's a 3 1/2 hour trip to camp, so a lot of but not all highway at 65MPH. The truck now has almost 7,000 miles on it and the lifetime average is right at 20MPG. I didn't buy the truck for it's gas mileage but I've been VERY impressed. I'm really loving this truck!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
My son has a 2011 that he added a leveling kit to and it sits really nice now. He been after me to due the same, but I'm a little old school and the rake look does bother me.

He also has the 6.2 and it's a beast, and the mileage isn't too bad!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
That's a Double Cab 4WD. That was off the Driver Information Center and it wasn't the 25 or 50 mile setting it was the 400 mile setting which is why I was so impressed. Right now the life time average of the truck at a little over 7,000 miles is right at 20 MPG, again impressive !

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
Do these new Chevy's still shut cylinders down at cruising speed?
Yes, it's called Active Fuel Management. There are a few devices on the market to eliminate this without going the route of a complete retune. Some people just want it in V8 mode all the time.
I am VERY picky about my vehicles and I can tell you the shift from 8 to 4 is completely seamless. The only way I know it switched is to look at the Driver Information Center. It took a while But GM got it right!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
kish75 said:
My 2015 double cab Silverado 5.3l has around 16000mi on it now and has a cap that is taller than the cab. Even with running 4 heavy 10 ply tires all winter the lifetime average is around 19.5!!!! Yes they also shut down to 4 cyl on the highway...
That's a very impressive average over 16,000 miles with that combination.

The contractors that come in to where I work are always raving about these new Silverado's and they beat the [censored] out of them.

And it's not just the MPG that's impressive this NEW 5.3 really can get up and go!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Since we were talking about MPG in this Thread I decided to check it a little. So I cleared the Trip B section on my DIC and set out to Pheasant Camp and here are the results. The round trip was 320 miles and the average was 26.4 MPG...that's 26.4 for 320 miles!!! The weather was in the 90's, so the air was used most of the time, there was some holiday traffic and it's mostly highway, but this INCLUDES the back roads to Camp and around home. My 400 mileage average is now at 25.4 and lifetime is 20.3 with 7786 miles!
To say Im impressed is an understatement! This is a 5500 lb. 4WD, 355HP, truck that can lay down to dark strips of rubber if thats what you want and get these kind of MPG numbers.
Oh yea...I'm real happy with my truck!!!

GM GOT IT RIGHT BOYS!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
No I haven't , my results are unscientific , but I can tell you that it's gotta be real close to accurate. I've been going to this same camp since 1986 driving different types of vehicles, some couldn't make it there and back without a refill! lol. I still have over 1/2 a tank that will last all week for work! It could possibly be off a little but I don't think by much.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MathewsMan31 said:
So I test drove a 2016 Silverado the other weekend. I must say it ran very well (as you'd expect in a brand new truck). The one I drove had 3.08 gears. I have to imagine the 3.42s would give you a bit more get up and go from a dead stop. Does anyone know what is "standard" in these trucks: the 3.08 vs. the 3.42s? The mileage some of you guys are reporting is terrific. I have an 09 Ram now and can't get better than 16.2 according to the computer, and that's being generous.
There is BIG difference with these trucks concerning the 3.08 VS 3.42! You might think the 3.08 would give you supior mileage but unless you do ALL highway driving the 3.42 will get you better numbers, remember these trucks are 5600 lbs. and that's a lot of mass to get rolling. Plus the performance is night and day and if you ever wanted to add larger tires tires the 3.08 would kill you! Long story short, make sure you get 3.42 or better and of course the G8O.
A lot depends on what package you get as far as what ratio comes with it! For instance the ALL Star package I got had the 3.42 and G80 included in it. Most of the Trailering Packages have the 3.42 and the Max Trailering has the 3.73 option available. Getting the right ratio is important so be diligent, I turned down some good deals because it didn't have the rear I wanted.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes, if you have the VIN number you can get the build sheet, look online for Vin decoders, etc.. Or you can look in the glove box and if the tag is in good shape it'll tell you!

GU4 = 3.08
GU5 = 3.23
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

G80 = LOCKING REAR

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MathewsMan31 said:
So another question... If I'm looking at used trucks, is there a way I can tell what gears are in the rear? Is this called out somewhere in the vin number?
If you really want to do your homework, look for one with the NHT Max Trailering Package.
Depending on the year, you get.

A larger 9.76 Rear

The 3.73 gears

A larger radiator

Heavier rear springs

And other goodies.

My son has this package with the 6.2. It's just an OUTSTANDING drivetrain!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well I've owned the truck for over a year now and it has over 20,000 miles on it. I love this thing, no issues, great ride, and INCREDIBLE gas mileage. This is my lifetime "AVERAGE"!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I am a car/truck guy and hard to please! I still own a 1971 Chevy 4x4 short bed that still has all it's original metal and a 1969 396 l78 Chevelle SS . My 2015 Silverado is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned period! It now has over 40,000 miles on it and the lifetime MPG average is 21 plus and that includes ALL types of driving. I just flat out love the thing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.