The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Every GM half ton I've owned since 2006 had that cussed plastic thingus below the front bumper. Haven't torn one off yet, but not for lack of trying in deep snow. Best part, never got any of 'em stuck yet, either?

According to the one time I looked it up in the manual, you can remove it for "off roading", but need to put it back on for proper cooling on the highway.

No major issues with any of my GM trucks, but was disappointed that they've dropped the 5/100,000 power train warranty on the 16s. Guess I'll just keep the 14? Still doing 20 MPG or better, highway mileage.

Never cared much for Fords, swore off Dodges years ago and Tundras are just dog-ugly. Just my personal opinions, YMMV?

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
My 2014 would easily do over 22 MPG if it wasn't loaded with tools and stuff in the bed and rear of the double cab. 5.3L, six speed and 3.42 gears.

It got really close to 22 the first trip to Tioga Co. in the fall of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2015</span> 2014, when it was new and I hadn't yet got 'er where I wanted 'er to be - treasures-wise. Tools, log chains, air compressor, jacks, ratchet straps and all sorts of things add to the weight now.

But it also got hammered most of the way up and back on that first "almost empty" trip, often going with traffic in 65 MPH zones @ 75 or 80. When kept around 72 MPH on cruise running fairly level four lanes, it does well over 22 MPG - mile after mile.

Too many steep hills on that trip for best fuel mileage. Back when I had a 2010 Silverado that struggled to get 18 MPG going to camp, knew a guy with an identical 2010 who regularly went to the shore with his truck. Had no problem doing 20 or better going down there and back.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
My first 5.3L was a new 2006 GMC Sierra extended cab 4x4 w/3.42 gears. Had over 500 miles on it before I ever "stuck my foot in 'er" to see what it had.

It had plenty, surprised the heck out of me. Fastest truck I'd owned since the '76 Chevy short bed with a re-worked 350 in it, that I had back in the 80s.

The Sierra was a good truck, traded it on a 2010 Silverado Z71 w/3.08 gears that was a dog off the line, but ran well once wound up.

That one had AFM, but got awful fuel mileage. Probably because the tall gears were no benefit on hilly roads? About the best fuel mileage that thing ever got on the highway, was around 18 MPG?

The 2014 Silverado double cab with the six speed tranny and 3.42 gears, is a different critter all around. Great mileage, plenty of get up and go. At my age, probably the last truck I'll ever own? Just turned over 20,000 miles last week.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Never been one to stretch the life out of a set of pickup tires. They get down to a certain point and they're gone for a new set, especially ahead of winter.

Farthest I've ever gone was about 40,000 on the set of OEM Bridgestones that came on the Sierra. It got new gums that fall, gave the old ones to a feller here that needed tires better than what he had at the time.

Not too fond of the Goodyear Wranglers that came on the current Silverado. Worst tires I've ever seen on a wet road. Probably be a set of Coopers on it come fall.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
One flat on the '14 Silverado so far (knock on wood).

Ran over a small bolt about a half hour from arriving at camp last summer. Running on the rim within seconds of the warning light coming on, couldn't even get off the road. Just a big enough hole that a plug wouldn't seal it (carry plugs and have a 12V compressor in the truck).

Bought one new Goodyear, but hated to. Probably only about 9K on the truck at the time. They'll all be gone come fall, at maybe 25K?

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Only "good" set of OE tires I've had in the past 14 years, were the Bridgestone H/Ts that came on the '06 Sierra. Pretty good in mud/snow for highway tires, decent on wet roads, no issues with them at all.

They're the ones I gave away with 40-some thousand on 'em. Wear was even, probably still had about 3/32 tread depth.

Next truck came with Bridgestone A/Ts, which were awful all around, noisy and wore unevenly, despite being rotated twice per year. I'm pretty fussy about proper inflation, didn't matter.

Had the FE alignment checked/re-checked, always within specs, front tires finally started to become cupped on the shoulders - last straw.

They were replaced w/Coopers (on another set of wheels), put the A/Ts back on the truck when I swapped the truck. Doubt they had 30K on them, as they were run less than three years?

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
My 2010 Z71 had 3.08 gears. Crappy acceleration, compared to the truck I had before it and the one I have now, both with 3.42 gears. No slouch off the line, if that's "your thing"? I fall victim to it now and then, as required.

That 3.08 gearing might work if one lives where there are few hills?

Much prefer the 3.42 for all around driving. Almost 500 miles of combined highway/local driving this past weekend going to camp and back.

Fuel mileage a tad under 20 MPG when I got home yesterday, much of that in the mountains of Potter/Tioga. It took a hit sitting in traffic several times yesterday, on the way home.

Going to camp and back without all the local driving up there like I did this past weekend, generally results in closer to 21 MPG averages.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
I've seen stories about premature cylinder wear/oil consumption problems in earlier 5.3Ls with fuel deactivation, but never any yips about plug failures?

Most mileage I've put on one yet, was the 2010 Z71 with about 58K on it and no issues. That Silverado struggled to get 18 MPG highway over four years.

The 2014 does over 20 MPG combined driving regularly and has hit 24 MPG highway on several occasions.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Had a new '02 S-10 ZR2 for four years. Extended cab, 5 speed. Great little truck, until you wanted to pull a trailer, which is why I went to an '06 Sierra 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. BTW, that S-10 never did better than about 18 MPG highway.

Ditched the Wrangler SRAs that came on my '14 Silverado and put a new set of Hankook ATMs on it. What a difference on wet roads, as these tires do not spin like the Goodyears did when pulling out.

Only downside, dropped the fuel mileage just a tad. Went from around 15 local, to 14.4. Dropped the highway average about one MPG, but I really like the Hankooks so far. Now running 41 PSI, which is still a bit below max PSI with these tires.

Everyone I know that has them, loves their ATMs, so we'll see how it goes come winter? They are fairly quiet for an aggressive tread tire, about the same as the Cooper AT/3s I had on my 2010 Silverado Z71.

Found out a few weeks ago, why someone I know went to a new RAM, instead of another Tundra. He told me it was because he couldn't make a deal on a new Tundra.

One of his buds told me the real reason, was the crappy mileage he got with the last two Tundras. The new RAM gets about 5 MPG better fuel mileage.

I'll stick with my Silverado.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
You don't have near enough "stuff" in that truck to survive a blizzard, severe storm, tree across the road, or the Zombie Apocolypze - with that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Got back from six days at camp this afternoon. 18 MPG combined for 564 miles. Up and back again was about 330 miles, rest was multiple trips to town (15 mile round trips), two 45 mile round trips over to Potter and back, 30 mile round trip into Steuben Co. NY and driving around gawking at deer, etc (roughly 230 miles of local driving, much of it on gravel roads).

The new Hankook ATMs are costing me at least one full MPG highway, over the Wranglers that came on it. But what the heck?

Averaged 21 MPG today on the trip home and some of that was at 75+ MPH, keeping up with the traffic flow on the northern parts of Rt. 15. It does better at 70 MPH, even with at least a quarter ton of tools'n toys.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
My 2014 was two years old in October and now has all but 28,000 miles on it.

Still does over 20 MPG on highway driving. Much of the way home from deer camp this month, was doing close to 22 while cruising along at 72 MPH on the four lanes - but the local average really drops in cold weather. Noticed that the first year I had it.

Spring, summer and fall, it will average between 14-15 on local driving. Was better when I got it, if it wasn't loaded down, but that's now the norm. Easily over 600lbs of tools and such in the bed now.

Last week when temps were in the low 20s, barely got 13 MPG around town.

Two recalls to deal with when I take it back to the dealer next month. Both having to do with seat belt retractors. Like this truck about as much or more, than any other new truck I've ever had. Especially since I replaced the junk Goodyear OEM tires, with a set of Hankook ATMs last summer.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Saw a new Ford ad on TV the other day, where they now claim to be the longest lasting trucks on the road (from 1977 onward). That used to be a Chevy thing, so apparently that data has changed?

Made me think of all the 1977 and up trucks in our family. Every one of them back in that period and up into the early 80s, were rust buckets. The trucks that came before them, were even worse.

My uncle bought a new '77 F150 4x4. Dairy farmer, so it never took any long trips and had fairly low mileage by the time it was 6 or 8 years old. Bed was already coming apart from rust by then, as were the cab corners and rocker panels. By the time it was 10 years old, had a flat ed on it where the box had been. He'd traded a '72 F250 on that truck. The '72 literally fell apart within that five year period. Bottom radiator bracket had rusted off; right side headlight housing fell out, etc.

His son, also a dairy farmer, had bought a new '78 F250 4x4, same deal with rust. But that truck was a real piece of junk. All I can say is, at least around here there are ten late 70/early 80s Chevy trucks still on the road, for every Ford from that time period.

They all rust, but the only rust issues I ever had with a Chevy, was a '76 that was almost ten years old by the time it needed repaired for rust.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Yep, Ram now claims that honor in their advertising.

I've owned Dodge trucks in the past, the last one being an '84. Swore I'd never own another one, which is why I've been driving GMCs or Chevies since 2002. No regrets. Had many older Chevy trucks in the 60s, 70s and 80s model years. All were pretty good trucks. Drove a '69 Chevy from around '72 (company truck) until the mid 90s (employer gave it to me in '86). It was still running when I got rid of it.

There was a time, at least where I live, when you'd see dozens of old Chevy pickups still on the road, compared to older Fords and Dodges. Literally 20 to one. So many more pickups on the road the past ten/fifteen years, hard to say which ones are now "the best"?

Paid $1800 for my first truck in 1970, a two year old Chevy C10. At the time a new one ran around $3K and 4x4 pickups were very rare. Now a decently equipped half ton 4x4 starts in the high $30 thousands.

They now have just a "few more amenities" than they did in the 70s. >:)

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
The best mileage recorded on the DIC display on mine, is 24 MPG. That was achieved on the way back from camp (roughly 180 miles), in the fall of 2014 when the truck was new and still had the OEM Goodyears on it. Now it has Hancook ATMS. Far better tires, bit more rolling resistance.

That was before I had the bed loaded with "man stuff" under the tonneau cover and the rear of the cab packed with other stuff. Log chains, ratchet straps, two hydraulic jacks, tool boxes and lots of power tools, etc. Probably at least 600lbs of stuff in the truck, day to day. Can't leave home without it. Some trips to camp, there are building materials along.

Even with all those treasures loaded in there, it still does between 18 and 21 on highway trips, usually does 15-16 for local driving. Drove trucks for years, that didn't get that on the highway.

Biggest thing I've discovered, is that the speed driven directly affects the mileage.

Rt. 15 from NY to roughly just north of Williamsport, is now 70 MPH. Traffic generally rolls closer to 80 MPH. If I keep the truck around 72 MPH, it will do 22 MPG on that leg. Closer to 80 MPH, cuts it down to 18. But it's a three hour+ drive, so who wants to dawdle at 72, when everyone else is going 80?

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Late huntin' bud bought a new '99 LT 2500. Ext. cab, shortbed 4x4 with the 6L gas engine.

That thing was loaded to the hilt: leather, heated seats, etc. Today it would be the LTZ. He got another one just like it in 2001, when they went to four doors on the ext. cab. His widder is still driving the 2001.

IIRC, the best mileage the 2001 ever got on a trip to camp, was around 17 MPG?

Unlike me, he seldom put his foot in it, when pulling away from a light or stop sign. Back in the 80s he and I both had 4x4 Chevy half tons with identical drive trains: 350 V8s and 2:73 axles. His was an 8' bed '81, mine was a 6-1/2 footer '80.

Same trip to my camp in 3A, he always did at least 2 MPG better than I did. But I got there faster.

>:)

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
My 2010 Z71 had 3:05 ratio axles. Might work well in Florida , not so good here on hills and up north in the mountains. 2014 w/3:42(?) ratio gets far better gas mileage and is a rocket from a dead stop.

I've had several new Chevy/GMC trucks since 2002. None had a "tin can" sound when closing doors.

We have a family reunion every Labor Day weekend in Potter County. Heckling each other about which truck we show up in, is standard fare. For years the Ford boys always bring up the sales figures to bolster their choice.

More people buy Fords, for the same reason there are now so many Democrats: No ability to think for themselves, just a desire to blend in with the flock.

0:)

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Then you add Chevrolet and GMC totals of 2017 sales that total 924,764 because they are the same. So let us add the F Series sales 896,764 and the Lincoln sales 111,159 because they are the same. That totals 1,007,923.

Um, that Lincoln figure is for ALL Lincoln models, not for their pickups. Doubt they sold more than 14 thousand Lincoln pickups last year?

2017 model year figures (includes American and foreign plants, for US markets):

Total GMC/Chevrolet pickup production: 948,909
Total Ford Motor Company pickup production: 896,764

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Think they gave it another whirl in the past year or so? 2017 may have been the start for the new version?

Farmer up the road from my camp has one that's several years old. Told him he'd be better off with a Ford, due to all the exterior chrome and interior gingerbread weighing that Lincoln down. He told me I'm just jealous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.