The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you guys think of the new Silverados? I seem to like the front end of them better on certain colors. I'm soon going to be in the truck market and plan on test driving one.

Anyone have one? If so what do you like or not like?

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I don,t own one but know someone who does and loves it.What I don,t like is the front air dam below the bumper that is beggin to get torn off the first time you leave the pavement.It is way to low.

·
Registered
821 Posts
good ole boy said:
I don,t own one but know someone who does and loves it.What I don,t like is the front air dam below the bumper that is beggin to get torn off the first time you leave the pavement.It is way to low.
I have a 2015 Silverado and I bent that front air dam 2 weeks after I bought the truck. I've been meaning to get under the truck and rip it off permanently. Other then that issue I'm happy with my truck.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I have a 2016 sierra 1500 they are very nice trucks for the money. But I also work at a GMC dealership so I am a little biased on my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the looks of the sierras but it seems like you're paying extra for a different front end on essentially the same truck?

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Every GM half ton I've owned since 2006 had that cussed plastic thingus below the front bumper. Haven't torn one off yet, but not for lack of trying in deep snow. Best part, never got any of 'em stuck yet, either?

According to the one time I looked it up in the manual, you can remove it for "off roading", but need to put it back on for proper cooling on the highway.

No major issues with any of my GM trucks, but was disappointed that they've dropped the 5/100,000 power train warranty on the 16s. Guess I'll just keep the 14? Still doing 20 MPG or better, highway mileage.

Never cared much for Fords, swore off Dodges years ago and Tundras are just dog-ugly. Just my personal opinions, YMMV?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Couldn't agree more on your choice of trucks and why . Just an FYI on the front bumper air dam , I removed mine when installing a brush guard . I haven't had any cooling issues .

·
Registered
305 Posts
My hunting buddy has had one since February and loves it, he's coming from a Tundra and says the gas mileage increase is incredible. The Toyota could barely squeezes out 16/17 MPG his new truck got over 23 MPG on his last trip! That's a big difference, plus he says it rides much better and actually likes the look of his truck now! LOL.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
That's something that always drove me crazy . I love SUV's . But I had to go back to a FULL sized pickup to get better than 15 mpg and decent tow rating.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
When it was time for a new truck I initionaly was looking hard at the new Colorado and it is a fine truck. My Dealer said he could give me a well equipted Silverado for a lower price. So I took the two trucks for extensive test rides down the same roads. The Colorado handled more like a sports car and was nice, but it couldn't match the ride of the Silverado...nothing can!
This truck is one of the best riding vehicles you'll ever drive in.
On a recent trip to Pheasant Camp my trucks 400 mile average was 24MPG! For a 4WD V8 truck to get that kind of "average" over 400mi. to me is incredible! The truck can also throw down some impressive track numbers if that your thing.

The air dam was added by GM to squeeze every drop of gas for cafe numbers. Most people see only a 1/2 MPG difference when removed and it comes off easily.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's the L83 5.3, 6SP auto, 3.42 rear gears. It's a 3 1/2 hour trip to camp, so a lot of but not all highway at 65MPH. The truck now has almost 7,000 miles on it and the lifetime average is right at 20MPG. I didn't buy the truck for it's gas mileage but I've been VERY impressed. I'm really loving this truck!

·
Registered
20,882 Posts
The 5.3's are an excellent combination of power and fuel efficiency.I just don't care for the low stance.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
My son has a 2011 that he added a leveling kit to and it sits really nice now. He been after me to due the same, but I'm a little old school and the rake look does bother me.

He also has the 6.2 and it's a beast, and the mileage isn't too bad!

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
My 2014 would easily do over 22 MPG if it wasn't loaded with tools and stuff in the bed and rear of the double cab. 5.3L, six speed and 3.42 gears.

It got really close to 22 the first trip to Tioga Co. in the fall of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2015</span> 2014, when it was new and I hadn't yet got 'er where I wanted 'er to be - treasures-wise. Tools, log chains, air compressor, jacks, ratchet straps and all sorts of things add to the weight now.

But it also got hammered most of the way up and back on that first "almost empty" trip, often going with traffic in 65 MPH zones @ 75 or 80. When kept around 72 MPH on cruise running fairly level four lanes, it does well over 22 MPG - mile after mile.

Too many steep hills on that trip for best fuel mileage. Back when I had a 2010 Silverado that struggled to get 18 MPG going to camp, knew a guy with an identical 2010 who regularly went to the shore with his truck. Had no problem doing 20 or better going down there and back.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yea..my buddy knocks 23 MPG or better everytime he takes a longer trip on the highway and he just drives it normal, not babying it, and it's pretty hilly around here. Like I said he was happy when his Tundra would get 16/17.
He's going to remove that front air dam thing and hope it doesn't hurt his mileage. He really likes his Silverado.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That's a Double Cab 4WD. That was off the Driver Information Center and it wasn't the 25 or 50 mile setting it was the 400 mile setting which is why I was so impressed. Right now the life time average of the truck at a little over 7,000 miles is right at 20 MPG, again impressive !

1 - 20 of 140 Posts