The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought a new bow. Ended up getting a new in the box 2012 hoyt vector 32. I wanted to get one of these like 2 years ago right when the spyder took over, but i guess its better late than never. Anyway, looking to build this thing from the ground up. Im thining about getting another trophy taker rest, fuse quiver and stabilizer. I dont know what kind of sight i should be looking at though. I have an apex bone collector 4 pin on my katera. I liked that sight because my 40 and 50 yard pins were .010 and really helped my accuracy at those distances, but i was thinking about checking out a 5 pin sight. Ill take any and all recommendations on 4 or 5 pins sights that you guys think are worthy of checking out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I am currently using a Montana Black Gold Ascent, 3-pin slider. But my last 5 pin was a Sword Twilight hunter. Sword makes a nice sight that is not overly expensive

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Squirrel said:
I am currently using a Montana Black Gold Ascent, 3-pin slider. But my last 5 pin was a Sword Twilight hunter. Sword makes a nice sight that is not overly expensive
Same here, but I'm only using 2 pins on my Ascent. The clean sight picture and the ability to shoot out to 100 yards is what sold me. I only shoot to 30 at deer so I leave my pins at 20 and 30 to hunt. If I'd shoot further at game I'd put my third pin in.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have a Black Gold Solaris that's been on the bow for five years. Love It! If i were ever to buy another sight, it would be one of the Black Golds. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I recently had a pin break on a Trophy Ridge Hitman 3 pin. 1 call to Trophy Ridge and a new pin was on the way. I recently began shooting indoor and 3D and was interested in a new sight anyway. I bought a HHA Optimizer Lite with .019 pin size. It was relatively easy to dial in and frankly it has improved my accuracy. I'm even considering keeping it on the bow for hunting. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm not much on recommending specific sites, since the new price range is from $39.95 to $350.00! I recommend things to look for: 1) solid housing construction, either aluminum or carbon, not plastic. 2) micro adjust windage and gang elevation that you don't need an allen wrench. 3)pin size that matches your hunting style and distances, and even multiple pin sizes within the same sight 4) pin color- anything but red- red flares and will seem off set to those who wear glasses. 5) encased or enclosed pin fiber- where the fiber runs through the pin not behind it, exposing it to being broken by weeds when you walk to or from your stand. After that, I advise to spend a little more on the sight, it is the foundation of your aiming point and it can be moved from one bow to another.

The problem with most of today's archery products, they cost too much to just buy one and try it, and resell it if you don't like it. I figure if I'm going to spend upwards of $75+ on a sight, I am sure going to use it whether I like it or not for 1 season. It would be great if you could test drive one for say, 100 shots, then make a decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bought the excel armor tech hd and have nothing to complain about. A little on the heavy side but built like a tank. Can also order from them directly and customize pin sizes and color.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think im going to look into that axcel armortech hd sight. Looks pretty well made. I like the looks of it and i really like the fact that i can customize it to how i like it. A friend of mine has one and he recommended it as well. Ill probably look at the black golds to. thanks guys.

·
Banned
851 Posts
I have the G5 Optix XR2 sight and love it. It has 1 fixed pin and one slider. I think that is the way to go for hunting. The first pin for me is good from pt blank out to about 35 yards. The second pin starts at 40yds and goes out to 70yds for now until I back it up a bit more! You make the marks on the slider knob for the yardage. The 2 pins give a clear sight picture.

It is a very well built solid sight. It is a magnesium alloy which is advertised as 30% lighter than aluminum. 3X micro adjustments, harmonic dampener, and a rubber arrow bumper. I would definitely recommend.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i got my new sight yesterday. I placed the order at the end of february and it finally came yesterday. I got the Axcel armortech vision 4 pin. Top two pins in .019 fiber and the bottom two in .010, all in green. I was going to get the HD model but decided against it. I figured i've had no problem killing deer and making excellent shots without harmonic dampeners so far so why spend more money to fix something that doesnt need fixed. I opted not to get the sight light either. I found out that the sight light off my apex sight is the same size anyway and screwed right into the new one so that was an added bonus for me. Cant wait to get it set up now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I saved up for a Spot Hogg. Got the Hunter Hogg it 5 pin large guard and love it. My old Trophy Ridge use to blur on me but no issues with this pig!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts