The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ash Bolete: Found under Ash Trees. Now go on the web and look up what an Ash tree looks like.. Now when you find a few Ash trees look on the ground and your going to find these edible Ash Boletes.. They are out there now to be found..everyone of these mushrooms were found under a grove of about 6 Ash trees...
On this particular hunt I hit the mother load as you can see...

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boil them first off and you can use them in any mushroom dishes...From Pizza to omlets, to mushroom soup.. They do have a lot of moisture in them so your going to have to use a dehydrator to store them for long periods of time.. So much moisture that I'd suggest that you dry them outside and not on any kitchen counters...I store them in vacumn sealed jars after I dry them. However once dried they last for a long time. Soak the dry mushroom in warm water prior to using in any mushroom recipe you desire.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me correct myself... If your going dry them don't boil them put them right in the dehydrator... If your going to eat them fresh then boil them...Make sure you cut them into small pieces when drying.. That will cut down on the drying time quite a bit..Again much moisture will drop down to the bottom of your dehydrator. hence the reason I do the drying out side with the dehydrator..

If your going to use them in a few days.. Boil them and then put them in the frig...

·
Registered
741 Posts
79inpa said:
Good info. I have never picked a blue staining bolete.
I wouldn't rely on that characteristic solely. From what I've read some blue-staining boletes are poisonous and some aren't. I do know that bugs, squirrels etc love boletes. Whenever I see them they are all chewed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts