The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

new shooting details

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  JerrySS 
Taylor S. said:
Oh lord, here we go again. People seriously need to stop pushing blame away from the perpetrator. Blaming the video games for causing some kid to shoot people is like blaming semi-automatic weapons for the shooting in Newtown.

I have been playing first person shooters since I was 12. I will be 29 in February. I have played Counter-strike for years, I do not run around shooting people thinking it's a game. I have the mental capacity to differentiate between the real world and a video game. Those that do not have that capacity probably should not be playing these games, but that falls on the parents of said child(ren.)

Contrary to what the media throws out there, these games do not "train you" to shoot, they do not jade you to the aspect of killing another human being, and they don't impregnate your 16 year old daughter. It's a game. Nothing more, nothing less. If your child has mental deficiencies where he could mistake a virtual world for the real world, then it's your job as a parent to get them the help they need.

comblockshooter said:
unless they changed counter strike its not a first person shooter game. counterstrike is-was a theater command game. i was actually thinking about playing mine the other day
Counter-strike is indeed a first person shooter.
Yes the kid was a nut case but the world we live in is filled with nut cases and I defy anyone to pick out which kids they are when they are becoming exposed to the violently graphic games and movies out there today.

Are the movies and games the guilty party? No they aren’t but make no mistake about their contributions to the desensitized violent behavior we are seeing so much of today.

The fact is those same video games and the principles they use are also used as tools to train some of our most elite military forces. The reason they are used is partly to desensitize them to both the act and graphic images of close combat and partly to train them to quickly and without thought take out targets before them, generally by using headshots because that is the fastest way to remove the threat.

All of you should read a book titled, “Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill: A Call to Action Against TV, Movie and Video Game Violence.” By Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman. It is a very good book that explains exactly what we are seeing in all of these mass shootings, how and why it is occurring and about the only ways we can counter it.

I am also going to include a couple links to Lt. Colonel Grossman’s Biography and also a videoed interview where he discusses some of the psychological aspects of killing.

http://www.killology.com/bio.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Ozno7HMGE

Watch that video and you will have a much better understanding of where we have evolved to as a society and why.

Dick Bodenhorn

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.