The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Savage line-up on their website. I was mostly interested in the new .260 Rem. offerings, but I noticed a couple interesting things.

The .260's are 1 in 8" twist.

The Savage 7mm-08's are going back to 9.5" twists from the 11.5" while they dropped the 7mm-08 from the Stevens line-up.
They are now offering limited chamberings in .250 Savage, 6.5 Creedmore and 7.62x39.
They dropped the 7mmWSM chambering.
They're expanding the 6.5x284 chamberings.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I used the savage gun search and entered 260 rem. I was surprised. of the 6 models offered 5 were over $800 (lone one at $675).

Now I know you can buy these discounted. But it is tough for me to think of Savage rifles as having a MSLP close to $1000. The value is fast eroding. for $8-900 I'd rather own a Ruger, Remington, Winchester or Kimber.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The days of buying inexpensive Savages are over. They have raised their prices considerably. They wil hit the wall pretty soon. Tom.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
The days of buying inexpensive Savages are over. They have raised their prices considerably. They wil hit the wall pretty soon. Tom.
IDK....I understand why the stevens series is there. It's for the "inexpensive gun" but savage is here today because it offered a good rifle at a good price. I guess they still have it, but under a different brand.

I wonder why they dropped the 300WSM offering? Low sales? Gotta be I guess. Couldn't imagine some of the others they are expanding has many more sales. Maybe winchester is charging them realties to chamber them? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jericho said:
I heard that they are dropping the Stevens M200 series.
Time will tell, but I hope not. IMO the Edge/Axis series is a POS that is going to come back and haunt Savage down the road if they use it to replace the Stevens line.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
But it is tough for me to think of Savage rifles as having a MSLP close to $1000. The value is fast eroding. for $8-900 I'd rather own a Ruger, Remington, Winchester or Kimber.
Yes,early on, I was one of the largest "boasters" of Savage accuracy/value, and now I find this diminishing as Savage has chosen to attempt to cash-in on this newly found reputation without realizing that their rifles are still black-stocked, plastic filled, bargain basement guns.....For the same money I'd buy a Remington 700 any day.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Stetam said:
I would rather own another one of those sweet shooting Savages
Even if I was blind, I would still be able to tell that a Kimber or Winchester was a better built rifle.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Has anyone noticed their chinese knock off of an Ithaca 37. That thing looks like it has about 1 foot of drop in the stock.

LOL! Someone will buy it though, because its "affordable".

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:
Harrysigafoo said:
But it is tough for me to think of Savage rifles as having a MSLP close to $1000. The value is fast eroding. for $8-900 I'd rather own a Ruger, Remington, Winchester or Kimber.
Yes,early on, I was one of the largest "boasters" of Savage accuracy/value, and now I find this diminishing as Savage has chosen to attempt to cash-in on this newly found reputation without realizing that their rifles are still black-stocked, plastic filled, bargain basement guns.....For the same money I'd buy a Remington 700 any day.

I'll take the Savage over the Remington 700.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I haven,t held a Edge.Are they that chinsy or are they a big bang for the buck.Or is the old adage true that you get what you pay for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts