The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new rifle this year. Either a Tikka T3 or A-Bolt in .270win. Never owned either of these but heard great things about both. Noth sure if I like the plastic on the Tikka. Any expereince/input would help..thanks

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'm a big fan of the A-bolt rifle. Lightweight and every one I've owed has been quite accurate. I especially like the safety being where it's supposed to be on the tang and the short 60* bolt lift. The trigger is also adjustable and action is bedded and barrel free floated from the factory. I could really take or leave the removable magazine, but it's kind of handy to just stick it in your pocket after/before the hunt.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have had an a-bolt for years, and the only complaint is that I don't get to use it much during rifle . . . my tags are filled by then.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I have the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .30-06 and to put it simply, I love it! Very light, a super smooth bolt, and accurate.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i have a tikka lite stainless in 243, with the laminate stock, it's a great gun. the bolts is super smooth, better than my older rem 700. the trigger is 2.5 lbs and breaks clean. it shots sub 1" groups all the time with several factory loads. the only plastic to worry about is the clip, but you can buy steel ones if you want. i'd buy another one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info..I didnt know they made metal mags and i have heard the bolt is real smooth in the T3

·
Registered
889 Posts
Personally I would pick the Browning.

I hear so many people who like the Tikka say they like it because the bolt is so "smooth". Personally I do not understand that statement?? Who cares how "smooth" the bolt is?? I would not buy a rifle because the bolt was "smooth". Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't get it.

What I look for are actions made to spec. instead of made to one length only to save money-then having a bolt stop installed. The bolt better be "smooth" because the action is too long!!

And then I can not get over a $60 "Plastic" magazine.

Yes the Tikka is a decent rifle, and most shoot fairly accurately. But the rifle is no panacea. It has far too many shortcuts in it's mfr. for me to buy another one. Tom.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Only thing I don't like about my A-bolt is having to put safety on "fire" to eject/open bolt...
Tikka's the same???

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
WADMAN said:
Only thing I don't like about my A-bolt is having to put safety on "fire" to eject/open bolt...
Tikka's the same???
I don't know if Tikka's are the same. However, it's easy to remove the 'Bolt Handle Lock" if you want it to remain on safe while unloading. Keep in mind that bolt can then come open on it's own though. Just an FYI....part #5 below.

A-Bolt Diagram

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have owned both an A-bolt and several Tikka's. I love them both and you will be happy with either. I would probably buy the Tikka over the Browning if I had to choose. I think for the money the Tikka is hard to beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts