The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new rifle, reasonably priced, to hunt bear/deer with. I currently have a .30-30, but want something with a little more knock down power.
I like my brother .30-06 pump-action he has, Remington I believe, but was just curious as to what you guys thought.
I'm currently in college, and paying for it, so I was possibly thinking of selling the Marlin .30-30 although I'd hate to sell a gun...
Any input will help guys. Thanks in advance.
-Pat

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you'd be hard pressed to beat a remington 760 pump. the 30/06's are plentiful for around $400. personally, i like the carbines, but they are a bit more but you can still find a nice one in '06 for $500 give or take. the 308's are more in carbine. i just sold a nice 760 308 rifle for $400. look on pennswoods.net classifieds.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
the remington 7600 pump actions are right around that price, you might even be able to find a deal on a used one with a good scope on it somewere. there are lots of options and lots of good shooting rifles in the 350$ to 600$ range.

if you find that you want to save some $ I recommend the marlin XL7 bolt action.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
G.C, first don't sell that 30.30 Marlin you'll always be sorry. This is what I'ed do if I wanted a Rem.pump (agood choice) I'ed check out Cabela's Gun Library. Call store and tell the guy what you want, he can tell you in like 2min. if one is there and the condition and if scoped. Call all the stores across US if need be. Most all the head guys are very very good on guns they will help you good. I talked to the guy in Texas and it was like he was a friend and knew guns big time. A good used Rem. pump is a fine Pa. deer gun many guys use them and wouldn't use anything else. Any Mod. is fine and if it were me I'ed faver the older ones, Good Luck...later

·
Administrator
39,045 Posts
pumpgun said:
you'd be hard pressed to beat a remington 760 pump. the 30/06's are plentiful for around $400. personally, i like the carbines, but they are a bit more but you can still find a nice one in '06 for $500 give or take. the 308's are more in carbine. i just sold a nice 760 308 rifle for $400. look on pennswoods.net classifieds.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm a remingtom guy, and while the looks and action of the 760/7600 pumps are nice. In 06 and 35 remington i think they kick like mules. I'd take one in 308, but not a carbine. my .02

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Some will disagree of course but my opinion is the 06 pump, although more powerful than needed for deer, is about as good as it gets for PA hunting. However there are many good choices, E.G. 308, 7-08, 280, 7 mag, in what ever action-type you like. Being that bears are on the menu, personally I would want a caliber of 270 or larger.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You can get a new marlin in the 300 marlin caliber. Any of the savage bolt actions in th 308 case (260, 243, 708) will work.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Get a Marlin XL7 or Savage Axis and keep the 30/30. I pefer a bolt gun over pump.

243, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06 and 30-06 are great overall rounds for PA

Grice in Clearfield has both for less than $300.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Remington 760 Carbine in 30-06. You will have no need to look any further.

The 7600's are nice, but the 760 is the one you want. You can find one in your price range....You may even be surprised.

As far as that 30-30 goes, It is probably the only rifle you will ever need. I have 2. They are my go-to guns. The '06 only comes out when I may have a longer shot. (150 yards is long around here.)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the help. Hopefully here soon I will be posting pics of my new gun!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tikka T-3 fits your price range. as to your current situation, wait tll you're done with school. you may find that the ol 30-30 aint that bad after all or you may find the $$$ to up that price range significantly.

If the 30-30 cant cut it for those sometimes long farm country shots in Geene then have at it... 30-06 will do it all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts