The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He guys need some advise. I bought a new 22 hornet A new Savage lightweight varminter with the laminate stock. Great looking rifle but I am having issues with cycling the ammo. The shell will jam in there when closing the bolt. I cant close it slow and it happens even when slammin it shut. just not as often. And when i do it has actually seated the bullet deeper into the casing. I have probably 10 rounds that are useless now becaust of it. tHE AMMO Im running through it is Remington 45 gr HP. Buddy gave me 3 hornady vmax to try and the cycle a lot better but still have it jam up time or two. Whats the deal???? any help or thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Sounds as if there are 2 issues : feeding and a head space issue as well. I would send it back to Savage with a detailed description of your findings. I would not fire that rifle if I were you. There could be a head space problem that will cause a failed caase and that would be bad.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when I say jam i mean the bolt picks it out of the magazine but doesnt always direct into the barrell and thats when it jamms and the bullet gets seated further into the casing.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
GreenHeadHunter said:
when I say jam i mean the bolt picks it out of the magazine but doesnt always direct into the barrell and thats when it jamms and the bullet gets seated further into the casing.
Joe DeGrande
Director Of Customer Service
Savage Arms, Inc.
413-568-7001 ext 4139
[email protected]

He'll take care of it for you.

Bill

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
joe will take care of you, he is a pleasure to deal with, Im 100% savage will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He got back to me and is sending me a new magazine HOWEVER i just had my buddy look it over and he pointed this out. See pics. There looks to be a sleve in the barrel that is not seated flush and the shell is catching on it. It has destroyed quite a few rounds and i am at witts end with this issue! Its a tack driver only when you can get a few rounds to chamber. What are your thoughts after looking at these pics

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You didn't have a case head separate did you? Looks like brass to me Take a 30 Cal brush and try to pull it out.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
GreenHeadHunter said:
What are your thoughts after looking at these pics
Don't know what it is but it sure of heck doesn't belong there!

You see the under cut area around the outside of the "sleeve"? That is the area of the chamber where the rim of the cartridge seats to establish cartridge head clearance and/or chamber headspace using a gauge. Whatever it is appears to be flush with the end of the tenon.

I can understand why your having problems! Everything your describing, hard chambering, seating bullets deeper and etc points to whats left of a separated cartridge stuck in there.

What bothers me even more, there appears to be quite a bit of blow back residue on the face of the tenon and in the rim recess that shouldn't be there, especially in a "new" rifle with only one proof round fired in it.

Send that picture to Joe. I have feeling he would be real interested seeing it.

Bill

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the picture maybe a little misleading. It is not recessed it is actually opposite! If you look at that pic the darker black ring is actually coming out of the barrel not recessed in. The brass coloration is actually from the sharp edge of that prudtion shaving my brass as I try to chamber a round. I did send all these pics to joe a long with another voice mail. Unfortunately I think they are closed all this week for the holiday. So who knows when or how long this will take to sort out. That only adds to my frustration. I've been having this issue since day one. It took me 15 minutes the first time I tried to chamber a round just to try and site this rifle in.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If it were a case, he wouldn't be able to put another shell in at all. A new Mag won't help from what I see. Looks like something went wrong when machining the Barrel & the Reaming process. Savage doesn't use a sleeved barrel that I know of. It does look like a barrel liner not put in properly though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's not a sleeved barrel and it's not a case stuck in there. If I am not mistaken, that's how it is supposed to look. I "had" a Mdl. 40 a little while back and that's exactly how the barrel looked. Has something to do with the hornet headspacing on the rim...

I am sorry to say but a new magazine is probably not going to solve this issue. In all honesty, your probably going to end up replacing the rifle cause it seems Savage STILL hasn't resolved the issues with their rifles chambered for the hornet! I has to send my 1st Mdl. 40 back 3 times for cases getting stuck after firing (factory loads with different brands) till they replaced it. The kicker was the "NEW" rifle did the same...

Long story short, I now have a Mdl. 12FV in place of those 40's!

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts