The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a new rifle. I want a PA style gun, long barrel. Percussion and 50 cal. With these requirements, what brands do you recommend? I have handled the Traditions PA rifle, and I don't like the way the stock lines me up with the sights. I DO like the Lyman Great Plains rifle, it fits me well. I also like the adjustable semi buckhorn sights on the Lyman. Who else makes a good long rifle that I should check out?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have both a Lyman Great Plains .54 flint and a T/C Renegade .50 percussion. Honestly I like the Lyman better but that's just me.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Get the Lyman GPR if you use RB's.If you were closer I have one in 50cal percussion I was thinking of selling.Only use it in the early season that is 1 week long.
If you are thinking of conicals you want the Great Plans Hunter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be for RB, so I like the slow twist in the GPR. I already have a T/C Renegade, but I want a longer gun this time. I think I am heavily leaning towards the GPR.

·
Registered
695 Posts
For a true Pa style long rifle you have to look at custom or semi custom rifles. None of the guns mentioned are a Pa. style gun.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Thompson center has oddly never made a "long rifle"

A new TC renegade or hawken will run 80 to 90 percent of the cost of a lesser cost real gun.

There aren't many production guns that fit the long rifle definition. Dixie Gun works sells a few. Beware of the Spanish and Italian reproduction long guns. They don't have much drop to the butt stocks and really don't fit most American men of average height or taller.

Some of the Dixie Gun works guns can be ordered with a flintlock and percussion lock and can be switched back and forth in a few minutes.

The Dixie Southern Mountain rifle was made by Miroku in Japan and was very good quality. But heavy as an anchor. On the used market, they bring more now than when they were new.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i have one of the southern mountain guns and it is a shooter maybe TVM will have something for you .just shop around and dont buy the frist thing that comes along

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Look into the Pedersoli made line. They are dependable and the ones I have seen and shot are high quality and are very fine shooters. They are sold by Dixie and Cabelas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I am going to do some homework and shopping, and I'll let you know what I decide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with the GPR. It seems to be the consensus without going to a very expensive gun. I was able to order one for $450 should be in today. Thanks for everyones guidance.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You did good,good price too. Make sure you scrub the factory preservative out of it.It will take around 100 shots to wear in the Barrel. That is the fun part though!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats! I shoot mine in regular gun season in stead of my centerfires.

·
Registered
303 Posts
220combat; I think you will do well with your GPR and I have found that they shoot rather well given that a friend of mine out-shot me last weekend with the same. There are a lot of variables with these buggers so I expect you will be visiting again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
using a .490 Hornady ball, and a .010 T/C lubed patch and 90gr Pyrodex, I'm hitting 4" groups at 100 yards offhand, but leaning against a tree. I'll bet I can tighten it up to 2-3" with a little tweaking.

I love this gun, and enjoy shooting it over the inlines.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
try a tighter patch...

might be a little harder to load, but often will tighten the groups...though 4" at 100yds just leaning on a tree...thats impressive...i dont know that i could do that with an open sighted centerfire....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They fit like it is a bit tighter than just snug, I don't have to beat the ball down. I think the .015's might make it TOO tight. That 50 really falls off after 100 yards, so I am happy with that grouping, I may try to adjust the powder, though, to tighten it up a little.

The sights are full buckhorn adjustable, and I can shoot the [censored] out of those. I cannot shoot partridge or express style sights at all though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Good choice with the GPR. You said in your first choice that it fit you well and you wanted a PA long rifle. You knew what you wanted you just needed a nudge in that direction. I bit my tongue through out this thread cause I didn't want to steer you away from the GPR. Great rifles. But look to spend twice as much for a Pa long rifle that feels right. I don't mind the fit of the Blue Ridge in a long rifle, but even that isn't a Pa Long Rifle. Also by the time you pay for a fairly good Pedersoli, you might have spent $100 or $200 more and got a real custom rifle.

For the price the GPR won't disappoint you at all! Good choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts