The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just picked up a few weeks ago my sons new Howa 2n1 rifle in 7mm 08 from shop in Washington Pa. Had them mount a vortex crossfire 3x9x40 and all was right in the world

After a couple trips to the range however now I am noticing that the scope is loose in the rings, I see marks on the scope where its evidently moving forward on recoil. I tried to tighten the rings but I cant seem to turn them any further, and the scope will turn with just with hand pressure. I'm not sure what kind of rings they used, cant see name on the ring anywhere??

I think I'm going to go back to the shop, I'm a novice but it almost seems like they're either the wrong size ring or bad.

Recoil on 7mm08 is not great so I really do not think it should loosen rings, and i definitely shouldnt be able to turn the scope with my hand.

Anyone have any thoughts

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Take it back....have them give you a new scope and the proper rings....or get your money and take your business somewhere else....simple as that.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Take it back. Pretty difficult to get the wrong size as most scopes will take one of 2 ring sizes. is there any gap between your rings, or is there a large gap on one side and none on the other?

A 7-08 shouldn't move the scope whatsoever. I wouldn't let on that you tried to tighten the rings any further or you may get the blame for any damage done to the tube?

Care to give a hint of what shop? I have my suspicions

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I'm with you.

Shop is on West Chestnut Street.

Wish I would have just put on the scope myself, now I've got another 45 minute drive to see them

Owner kept bsing with the locals coming in and took about an hour and a half to get out of there.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
That is entirely unacceptable and shows that whoever put that scope and ring combo together for you is incompatent or sloppy. Take it back.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I agree, theres no more room to tighten them down any furgher so rings have to be wrong size...

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
i walked out of my local gunshop this weekend after they pretty much insulted me, to bad for them as i had a $600 dollar rifle in my hands i was gonna buy from them, not now and wont buy from them in the future

·
Registered
699 Posts
A 45 minute ride at $3.89 a gallon. Save the money, aggravation, and time wasted at the idiot's shop and buy yourself a good set of Warn or leoupold rings and mount it yourself. It's not difficult to do. Call him and tell him what you think of his work.Good Luck

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
valkrider88 said:
A 45 minute ride at $3.89 a gallon. Save the money, aggravation, and time wasted at the idiot's shop and buy yourself a good set of Warn or leoupold rings and mount it yourself. It's not difficult to do. Call him and tell him what you think of his work.Good Luck
Yeah thats what I did today. Bought Leupold rings at Gander Moutntain (1") and toook of the other rings and re-mounted. Scopes on there solid now.

Maybe if I had another reason to be in the area I would have taken it back to them, but 45min each way is a waste of time and money. Won't be going back for any guns or gunwork at their shop.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
I had a scope mounted incorrect before on my gun not one I bought from the shop.I took it back and it was almost as if it were my fault.Nice thing was other customers admired my gun.A few asked what it was.The guy working on it said custom.They mounted the scope I bought from them free but it still needed to be correctly done in my mind.I don't know if I would drop a shop due to one mistake.Stuff can happen.How you react is what gets you a better advantage of the situation.If they don't know they did a poor job they can't fix it and others may get the same,your friends maybe.Oh I paid $4.059 for gas yesterday.I had to buy midgrade because all the sheep hoarded regular when the internet announced higher gas prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts