The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rest on my compound snapped yesterday morning. Not sure how it happened but it did. I called my dad and he let me borrow his crossbow. I had shot it before a few times, and felt confident I could shoot it well.

I flew down the tree and ran out to my car. I got back in the woods, climbed back up the tree and set up my strap with hooks that I use to hold my bow. I pulled up the crossbow and this is where I learned that it is not that easy.

It was awkward for me to figure out how to maneuver with the xbow in my climber. I hung it on one of the hooks, and got turned around. I grabbed the crossbow, but now it took up both of my hands. I like to hang on the the rails of my seat section when I sit down.

Once I sat down I had to figure out how to sit with it. So I sort of just rested it on the rail and had the but section tucked under my arm. I snapped a picture of it.

As I was sitting there I was thinking of how I was going to get a shot off with it. I would say that my range of motion was severely limited with the crossbow. I did not want to have to stand up but I only had about 90 degrees in front and a bit to the left that I could manage to shoot from. Now if my stand did not have front rail this may have helped but not much.

I never had anything against the crossbow hunters or anything like that but did feel that the ability to not have to draw was an advantage. After sitting down and actually hunting with one out of my climber, I feel that a standard bow offers a lot more maneuverability in a climbing treestand. I think I would have to set up exactly where the shot would take place in order to give the xbow the advantage.

With the limbs of the bow sticking out as well, a rear ward shot would not work very well as the string and limbs would contact the tree.

Now maybe it was just the new element that through me off so bad, but in my mind I have more of an advantage with my compound in a climber. A ground blind might be a better set up with the crossbow.

Do you guys use climbers with the front bar when hunting with a crossbow? Where do you store your xbow while seated in the climber?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually just hold on to mine and rest it on the front bar. You are right tho, sometimes it is hard to get a shot behind you because the tree could be in the way.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Treeforeman said:
I usually just hold on to mine and rest it on the front bar. You are right tho, sometimes it is hard to get a shot behind you because the tree could be in the way.
X2...I normally don't pull up my bow until I am sitting down.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Yep. It is not that it is cracked up to be, according to some that have never hunted with one.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I dont hunt out of a climbing stand but do ladder stands. I always just hold mine on lap. maneuverability with a crossbow for a shot can be a challenge but i always put my stand pointing towards my best spot to shoot.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Practice shooting the opposite you normally do. I practice left handed but since my contacts are for reading in my left eye not long distance as in my right I get a slightly blurry sight picture. More than once I have almost had to shoot this way but fortunately never have . In a ladder stand you need the flexability to switch.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
by reading your thread, I get the feeling that you admit a compound is easier to use over a crossbow and not the other way around
....well i'll be darned

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob1961 said:
by reading your thread, I get the feeling that you admit a compound is easier to use over a crossbow and not the other way around
....well i'll be darned
I would say that in a climbing tree stand this would be true, but hunting out of a ground blind or just on the ground, the crossbow is much easier, IMO. I mean if I would get used to it a bit more I could improve how I set up and such, but I would take my compound any day in my climber.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ram said:
Hang the quiver on a hook. Get it out of your way.
I was going to do this, but given my luck my dad had told me to just leave it on there so I wouldn't break or lose anything
I am beginning to think he thinks im Barney Fife

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Absolutely, the x-bow is much more unwieldy in a treestand and rear angle shots that are possible with a compound can be impossible with the x-bow.

Far as setup in the stand, I use a climber with a combo rail/seat and bolted a bracket to the right corner of the rail (I'm right handed) that firmly grips the forend, and I rest the butt stock on the seat and it kind of locks in against the side rail. The bow sits there very firmly and mostly out of the way but is still easy to rapidly deploy with minimal movement.

Far as the quiver, I've always detached my quivers once I'm in the stand. Used to hang it on the stand or a limb, but after spineing a buck one time, then dropping the quiver out of the tree when I went to grab another arrow, I came up with a better arrangement. Since then, I have always bought an extra bow mount for my quivers and attach that to the stand, then I clip the quiver right to the stand before I climb the tree. Works slick as heck. Arrows are right there, can't fall out of the tree, and the nocks don't dig into the ground raising and lowering the bow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts