The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or heard much about the new Remington 1911 R1 pistol? I got a newsletter from Remington showing there new handgun. I heard it wouldn't be around at local gunshop's till mid-june, or so. I wouldn't mine having one and adding it to my 1911, collection.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yeah when its all said and done, you'll probably be able to pick one up for $600.00 in June or July. Looks like I might be buying my first 1911. I've been looking at a Para Ordance 1911, but now I will be waiting and trying the R1

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
This is their re-entry attempt. To catch some sales in light of the AR and 1911 craze.

The guns are actually built in Ilion NY by an outside firm, at least that is what I've heard. This model is more like a basic GI model and it has the series 80 safeties.

I think its cool, but not for me. If I buy a 1911 I want it to function with all types of ammo, not just hardball. I would have been more impressed to see a hunting type of revolver in 44 mag that doesn't weigh a ton to compete with S&W. But of course at a better price.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
other than the XP 100, I didn't know they were ever "IN" the handgun market??
Remington made six shooters that competed with other percussion and cartridge revolvers in the mid to late 1800s. They also made small semi-auto pistols into the 20th century (and some WWI vintage 1911s), but most of their handgun manufacturing had ceased by the 1920s or thereabouts, if not mistaken?

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Remington was in the handgun business up till around 100 years ago. the R1 are available now, but in very very limited production. I have seen them and they are a great deal for the money. they are being made in Ilion by Remington. E-RPC is a Remington owned company, to keep liability away from the long gun side. I see these guns are online and selling for a very reasonable price. I say if you want one, get it now before people discover how good these are and snap them all up.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
This is their re-entry attempt. To catch some sales in light of the AR and 1911 craze.

The guns are actually built in Ilion NY by an outside firm, at least that is what I've heard. This model is more like a basic GI model and it has the series 80 safeties.

I think its cool, but not for me. If I buy a 1911 I want it to function with all types of ammo, not just hardball. I would have been more impressed to see a hunting type of revolver in 44 mag that doesn't weigh a ton to compete with S&W. But of course at a better price.
Is that your opinion or a known fact that some 1911 A1's don't shoot all types of ammo well?

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
GI issue 1911A1s were primarily designed to shoot and function with "hardball" ammo (FMJ bullets).

Most commercial 1911 pistols have been designed to handle just about anything, including hollow point ammo. Regardless, some will still prefer certain types of ammo.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
browntrout, para ordanance makes one quality pistol and they stand behind their products plus they are awesome shooters. remington is farming out these 1911's and being the new kid on the block for the extra dollars i know what my choice would be.

by the way if anyone needs a PARA factory P-16 [15round] .40cal magazine as new $40 firm. just shoot me a pm also trades will be considered.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
For a little money you can get the feed ramp polished and the chamber throated on any 1911 and it will handle most ammo.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Yep, but most 1911s now come with much of those little items that once cost extra as modifications to GI pistols, as standard features. But you already knew dat.

Years ago my dad spotted a tricked-out 1911 competition pistol on the cover of one of my gun magazines and had him a real hoot fest over it. He wanted to know what the competition consisted of...hittin' fuel drums at 30 paces.

Had a deuce of a time explaining to him that today's 1911s bear little resemblence to that clunker he toted during WWII. He still wasn't impressed, still prefering to recall how "inaccurate" his pistol was.

Match accuracy wasn't the government's main criteria back then, reliability was the goal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts