5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one concerned about the possibility
of a statewide 12 day concurrent season in all WMU's next
Gunning season ?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't like it at all,but the i got one more tag to fill hogs will love it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just started to see some deer again on a regular basis in the Big Woods. The hunting camp will just be a fishing camp if that happens.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I hope it happens. Will get rid of the second week crowds and make it like it used to be.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigbear said:
I hope it happens. Will get rid of the second week crowds and make it like it used to be.
A lot less deer around also with 6 days of doe's being harvested.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Im not sure thats totally accurate. I only saw 26 this year on the hill across from your camp on the 1 drive instead of the usual 30+. Population must be getting hammered.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
In the parts of 2G where I hunt,I feel deer numbers are right about where they should be for the most part.The regeneration is definately showing sign of improvement but there's definately more deer now than say in 2005.I don't want to see the deer herd grow much at all but I don't think it really needs reduced either.I'm ok with keeping the seasons the way they are now.although I don't think an extra week will make a big difference around here just because of the lack of pressure.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
They raised the tags approx. 20% to compensate for the fewer days to harvest a doe, now if they don't adjust them back down if they go to two weeks we will know that the motives of the Gameless commission has been exposed. The motive being shoot as many deer as we can get the gamehogs to shoot and to heck with actually managing the herd in a way beyond what second grader could do. If the do lower them to compensate, I will happily be proven wrong.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I saw the deer herd rebound fast when we went to split season here in 4d a few years ago. I actually am of the mindset that the concurrent season will lower the deer population significantly. I am sure somebody could argue the havest #'s don't show it. But, I have little faith in the harvest #'s. I live right smack in the middle of prime deer hunting country and spend my life in the outdoors. I'm telling you the difference between concurrent and split was dramatic here. Then again, we do have heavy hunting pressure here in 4d. Plenty of guys in the woods. The more time they get, the more they shoot.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
There's no reason for it not to go back to a concurrent season. Allocations will most likely be lowered if it does. The no deer crowd got their decreased hunting time for antlerless deer and then whined about allocation numbers. Taking away the first week was only a 'feel good' move to appease those hunters and they're still not happy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
I saw the deer herd rebound fast when we went to split season here in 4d a few years ago. I actually am of the mindset that the concurrent season will lower the deer population significantly. I am sure somebody could argue the havest #'s don't show it. But, I have little faith in the harvest #'s. I live right smack in the middle of prime deer hunting country and spend my life in the outdoors. I'm telling you the difference between concurrent and split was dramatic here. Then again, we do have heavy hunting pressure here in 4d. Plenty of guys in the woods. The more time they get, the more they shoot.
Agree somewhat wouldn't say dramatic increase but I'm seeing more sign this winter then I have in a long time.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I liked the concurrent season,hope it does go back. The antlerless allocations will be lowered to compensate for the longer amount of time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
you would have to think the success rate would be higher on the 1st day because of the shear number of hunters in the woods compared to the rest of the season.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
They have not put up the official agenda yet. The Press Secretary is gone?
They may get the whole state concurrent. But, I don't think it will come easy this time. I honestly don't know why they want it so bad, unless they are not happy with the kill? It surprises even me, a long time supporter of the AR/HR program. It will hurt the PGC in the public relations arena, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The last few years it seems that the PGC has finally tried to come to terms with and/or begin to fix Alt's mess.

I have had faith in the powers that be.....Eventually they have to see the light....If it goes back to full concurrent seasons, I fear that be will be the death knell for any kind of optimism the hunters of Pa have.

Ya can't get blood from a stone....Ya can't give more time to the brown-it's-down crowd to try to wipe out any last vestige of odocoileus virginanus from areas where they are having a heck of a time just surviving.

And you ain't going to get these tree-huggers with their manicured lawns in the suburbs to approve any kind of hunt to take care of the overpopulation of deer in that particular area.

I would recommend just rolling the game management clock back about 20 years....Start over. If these new people start with the same things that their predecessors did, maybe they will make the right decisions instead of just continually applying band-aids to a gaping wound.

Dang....these anger management classes must be good....I feel much better now......

I do feel sorry for the cat though....Oh Well, Chinese food tomorrow

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was a staunch PGC suporter for years.
Just can't go along with this DM program anymore.
Whenever I posted any opposition to the current PGC management program I would take a beating on here.
2G doe allocations went up by 10,000 permits last year and now we are considering making it a 12 day concurrent season.
Why am I not getting bashed now?
Maybe your are saying the PGC may be be going over the top
this time around.
Lets hear all the scientific data ya wanted to ram down my throat before.
Funny how the cat has some tongues out there.
It's time to admit something needs fixin here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts