The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this new Savage Model 25 Walking varminter in a .204. I put a black sling on it, a set of Harris bipods and It is topped off with a Leupold made Redfield 4-12 scope. When I first saw the scope I liked it but wanted a better "quality" than "Redfield"... Until now! I decided to go with the Hornady 32gr. V-max.

Do you think it was the right choice? The low shot was from moving out to 100 yards from 25. I made a slight adjustment and fired a three shot group....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Very nice ... I just bought the Savage walking varminter in .17 hornet ... I am also highly considering picking up a Model 25 Lightweight Varminter with Laminated wood stock in .204 ... They are just tough to find!

The new Redfields are fantastic scopes, all American made also. Did you get the regular cross hair or the accu range?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the regular crosshair. I am defianetly going to look into the laminated one. Maybe in a 22-250, Thanks for mentioning that!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The laminated ones are just pretty looking guns ... I went with the same synthetic you have on my .17 hornet. I've been wanting a .204 for a while and figured I'd get it in a "pretty" version.

I've only found one laminate .204 around here, it's $599

Did you adjust your trigger at all? Or leave it as it came?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The new Redfields are fantastic scopes, all American made also.[/quote]
Be careful I think the revolution series are made in USA, but the revenge line is made overseas.
By the way I just bought a lightweight varminter with the laminate stock in 22 hornet it is a very nice rifle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left the trigger set where it was out of the box. I thought it was PLENTY light. If you had gloves on it would seem to me you would have your hands full.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I bought the walking in a 222 love it. Can't wait to shoot a coyote with it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have yet to see a 204 that is less acurate than that. my NEF ss shoots like a nickle size 5shot group at 100y with hand loads. I love the vmax in that cal just no reason to do anything diff. I shot a coyote this year when I walked up to her there was a large inflated area behind the shoulder behind where I hit the chest... I steped on it and it sounded like ice crunching there were so many thing in there broken it was crazy. That bullet will most likley not ever exit a coyote or racoon but a fox is anotger story but it wont stop me from shooting them!haha good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts