The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i decided to try getting into doin some coyote/fox hunting. Was wandering what gear to get as far as calls,lights,etc i would need to get started. Not looking to spend too much yet on stuff but i dont wana buy cheap junk either, just tryin to get the esentials to get started. Any advice would help, thanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
If your looking for a e-call you can't go wrong with a foxpro as for lights check out Boondock Outdoors they have a couple different ones. I just picked the predator pack good deal

·
Super Moderator
7,997 Posts
Kinda in the same boat...started seeing coyote tracks for the first time in years on the place where I hunt deer. Would like to take out Mr. Wyle E. Coyote before he dines on the turkeys I'm after this spring.

Anyone have any suggestions for non-electronic calls?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keep in mind EVERYONE uses the foxpro these days. At the NE regional hunt, every guy I talked to has the wildfire. If you get one you probably want to delete the calls that came on it and load some different ones up.

·
Banned
491 Posts
My best advice to anyone starting out is to A. make the investment in good equipment and save yourself the frustration. B. Make the investment in good equipment and save yourself money in the long run C. Make the investment in good equipment, and do as much research as you can - read the posts here, there are some other great informational resources online, and be patient when you are in the field.

This posts is based on my own frustrations in the past, a small fortune in lesser grade items, and years of tough hunting. I really like my foxpro call and my EWT kill Lights from Boondock outdoors.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
ok,this late in year,get cheap red lamp light,10 bucks, and rip out squeeker from old toy,,go out and try some soft squeeks,,
just be sure you got fur takers license in case of fox coming in.
no toy,,,,just kiss,squeek palm or back of hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so i got an idea now about gear now as far as calls go what sounds should i use for both coyote and fox, and would it be better day or night time?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Starting out, and even though everyone uses them, it's hard to beat any rabbit in distress or bird in distress with a hand call or e-caller. You might try early or late hours in the daytime for a time or two until you see if you like it. Keep searching topics on this forum because there are a lot veterans with good advice on here. The fifth thread from the top has great info. for beginners. I learn something new virtually everytime I'm on.

·
Registered
602 Posts
best advise i can say is keep at it and dont give up because it will get frustrating at first, youll learn something new everytime you go out and things will eventually start falling into place

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
foodplottrot said:
Buy a nice hound and burn your calls.
I was going to try that once but I knew it would be hard finding dummies to try to head off the hounds. Read the predator thread sticky on the top, lot of good info in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts