The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this site but I have really enjoyed all the helpful information. I have one quick question about lights. Do I need one light for scanning and a light mounted on my gun or can I just use a gun mounted light. If so, do both of the lights have to be red or should scanning be one color and the gun light be another?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't scan with a gun mounted light, unsafe. Get 1 for scanning and 1 for the gun. I use red for both. I have seen a mono-pod with a swivel head that has a light hooked to it for scanning and shooting, you just have to be safe about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at getting an ultrafire wf 501b on ebay. any opinions on these lights?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 2 xlr250 red kill lights. one on my gun and one for scanning. very good lights, well worth the money. also if you have any questions about them get ahold of Jeremiah on here. I'm sure he'll chime in on here but if not like spark said boondock outdoors .com. they are a sponsor to hpa and if you get a kill light you'll never go to another one IMO.

Ethan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have all the Cree model lights for pred hunting. I have all the info to get one that being said, so if you need one shoot me a message.
As far as color goes, some swear by red, some swear by yellow, etc, etc. I have red, yellow, green, and blue right now. You'll have to try different for different scenarios, playing how light it is at night with the moon phase.
Best advice is get out and scout and hunt as much as you can until you find what works. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Coyotes have been killed over the years past with all types of lights. It is how you run the light that matters when it comes to killing coyotes.

G

·
0 Posts
For a scanning light I like Boondock outdoors Kill light 100 for hand held or Night Eyes for a head mounted scanning light. For a do anything light I like Coyote TLR also sold by Boondock. For the best gun mounted light I have ever used PM me because they do not pay this site to advertise so I may not mention the light name. I think I have used pretty much every light out there except The Coyote Light also sold by Boondock outdoors.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Seeking_Coyotes2 said:
For a scanning light I like Boondock outdoors Kill light 100 for hand held or Night Eyes for a head mounted scanning light. For a do anything light I like Coyote TLR also sold by Boondock. For the best gun mounted light I have ever used PM me because they do not pay this site to advertise so I may not mention the light name. I think I have used pretty much every light out there except The Coyote Light also sold by Boondock outdoors.
Sorry, but I do not sell the Coyote TLR. And I will not ever because of the way I was treated when I approached the owner about selling his products.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've actually heard really good things about the Yote Light. I've never dealt with their CS, but I hear the product is awesome! Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I use the 501b for scanning and a shotgun light in red. Very bright, definitely picks out eyes 100 yards plus. For my main light I use the WF-800 recoil thrower which puts out a disgusting amount of light.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my buddy and i are using the Night Eyes Predator light that i got from Boondock outdoors. This is my first high quality scan light and i really think you can't get much more punch from such a small light. i have the rifle so he scans with the headlamp and he has the shot gun. we has some cheap LED's that we colored the lens with red sharpie on the ready for something close. just get out there and try different methods to see what works for you.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I use thecoyotelight on my head for scanning and the XLR 250 kill light mounted on my gun. Another good gun mounted light is the carnivore 5 light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts