The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is one picture of my imperial clover plot, first year plot, do not want to mow it for fear of killing it. Will fertilize and try to get some of the weeds out. The other pictures are of an area I cleared to try some pure attraction. It has oats, winter peas and brasica. I wanted I higher percentage of brasica so I added a bag of winter greens. This area is more rocky then my clover plot, but still a good bit of earth for good seed contact. Hope it works out, it started raining right as I was seeding then it was continued to rain on and off the rest of the day and the following day. One good thing came out of clearing this area, we found enough field stone and rock to instal around the first story of the cabin.

Before Pictures

After

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Mow your clover before the weeds go to seed. The clover will not be harmed. It's pretty tough stuff.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dutch, even in its first year its ok? Should I wait to cut before a rain so it gets some water and isnt stressed too much. Im sure some weeds probably went to seed, but then again I cant tell what is weed and what is left over from the previous plot that had brasica, and a wings and wildlife seed blend. But in a clover plot if it isnt clover I guess it can be considered a weed.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes, cut it. Won't hurt it. I cut mine about 2 months after seeding the first year.

The mower will help, to some extent, with weed control. You let them go to seed and you are behind the 8 ball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what i do on my plots(since most are on the small side) is just take my trimmer(or weedwacker or whatever you might call it) and go over the top of the plot and trim the top couple inches if it. Espcuially if the plots are hard to get to, quite a bit easier than bringing a mower in

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dutch, im just worried that if I cut it the clovers themselves will all diappeasr and I will be left with stems, Im going to try and cut it as high as I can, then should I fertilize or fertilize before cutting it?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You are worrying far to much. Cut it, then fertilize with 10-20-20. Again, if you can time it just before a rain event, GREAT!

Clover needs to be mowed, do it a favor and mow it. Won't regret it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Arrest( a grass specific weed killer) or the generic equivalent worked pretty well for us t o kill the grasses in our broad leaf plots. Might want to spray it down to knock out some of the weeds....Lookin good tho....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts