The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The farm we hunt was logged last year. Is there any seed that will grow well and is no till. Looking to clear some spots on the roads and plant next spring to hold the deer after the corn is cut in the fall.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure there is something that may work for you.

But if you can get a four wheeler in I would suggest trying to work the soil, get your ph right and go from there.

I have found that the more you build your soil the better your seeds will grow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
there is a lot of no till iteams coming to market now due to the simple process so to speak. not positive for sure but think white tail instatute hase no till items but you can go to your local agway or tractor supply and they should be able to help you out with what is offered. through ag crops.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Every is different, soil conditions vary greatly and can affect what will and what won't do well. Most areas of PA have fairly acidic soils, from 5.5 to 6.0. That can often dictate what will do well and what won't. Newly logged areas tend to be fairly acidic, particularly if old oak, pine or hemlock forests. Adding lime to the soil would be a huge boost and open up options.

If you can't or don't want to do anything to the soil I like to frost seed the seeds. Usually mid to late February is when I put the seeds down. My favorite low maintanence seed mix is 10 pounds of orchard grass, 3 pounds of white dutch clover and 1 pound of birds foot trefoil per acre. If you don't mow it, the orchard grass will eventually take over. If you can mow it, the stand will mature in about a year to 18 months and will last for many years thereafter. It is fairly low pH tolerant and shade tolerant and the deer will happy graze all 3 plants.

·
Registered
125 Posts
do to timeing and wanted to experiment i planted a brassica mix with sugar beet, killed the weeds, broadcast it and ran over it with the quad and that was end of july now its over 12-15 inches and the seeds along with rain have made there way into the soil and i have a stand hung in trastion to it...hehe

·
Registered
125 Posts
and yes you can plant it in the spring...i have done that and its done great but to give you an even better mix idea... Tecomates Deer Pea Plus...i love this and will be planting alot of it in 2010 alot of protien and attractant wll into and beyond the season... burgandy beans, white grain millo and juvenile soybeans awesome plots i can email you some pics it you would like to see what it looks like...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts