The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new pistol in the near future and I am looking for some HPA member feedback. I already have a SW Sigma Series 9mm (SW9VE) but I feel it is still a little too big to carry concealed without being noticeable, so it usually stays at home or in the truck. My best option for carrying concealed is in an ankle holster as I usually wear t-shirts or a light jacket. I definitely want something 40 cal. or larger, but am open to either a semi or a revolver. Any thoughts on what to look for? (Also looking to stay under $500)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
check out the KAHR CW MODEL,my son has one in 40cal,high quality,very accurate,totally concealable.i think he paid $500 out the door.AuctionArms.com has one in 40cal for $450

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
psutrapper said:
the small glock 27 in 40 cal is a nice carry gun as well
And add a Blackhawk Serpa holster to it and you're good to go!

·
Banned
265 Posts
When I am not carrying my Colt Defender I carry a Taurus PT 111 Millennium in 9mm. Ten round magazines, light, small enough for an ankle holster or inside the belt holster (my choice), accurate, HAS A THUMB SAFETY, DAO trigger breaks clean - and it has NEVER failed to go bang when I squeeze the trigger. It is a very good pistol at a very good price.

It is NOT large caliber, but 10 rounds of 9mm Hydrashock is PLENTY of stopping power in a very concealable weapon.

Terry

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Im going to purchase a cz 75b here in a few weeks, heard too many good things about them and finally gave them a try. And what would ya know, I fell in Love! Id take a cz over many other well known pistols out there.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would go with the glock 27 or a ruger sp101 357 mag snubbie if you decide on a revlover.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I tend to stick with proven names and names of the companies our agencies use either LEO's or gov't. agents. Glock, Sig, S&W, Ber.M92, 1911 by Springfield/Kimber.

I am Glock fan - my mod. 23 in 40 S&W is a current favorite and hopefully a G.36 soon in 45 ACP.

looking at a .40 or larger gun and smaller one than the Sigma shortens the list. Those mentioned already are the Glock series 27, 36 or a 27 sized sub-compact in 45 GAP of the 357AUTO round,the Kahr's in the CW series CW40 and the CW45 are probably the best options. I would look at IWB holsters or tuckables and you should have no issues with concealing any of those.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I'm a Glock fan.

Glock 26 - conceal carry
Glock 17 - open carry

If you wanted my opinion on a other brands:
The only Ruger semi I like is the SR9
S&W M&P's
Springfield XDM's

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Mini glocks rock around alot in an ankle holster. A S&W 442 or variant ride nice in ankle holsters and fit well in shorts pockets too with a pocket holster.

·
Registered
769 Posts
kel tec 380. I carry one every day in my front pocket and it is the best for daily/office carry. my other favorite carry gun is my S&W 442. light and snag proof.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I understand that you're looking for something .40 or bigger that is very concealable, One or two guns come to mind. I would look into a couple of the KAHR models, or a Taurus PT 140 millennium pro. Both are smaller guns.

I have a springfield armory subcompact .40xd and it's an AWESOME shooting little gun but it is a double stack and is just as wide as my full size sig's for duty carry.

I do carry that gun IWB appendix carry on occassion but only if I know I'm going to be on my feet more than sitting.

I recently bought a sig-sauer P238 (380) and the quality just dominates anything that any other .380 has to offer. I recently shot a keltec 380 and was unhappy with it. The 238 is very accurate, has night sights, and can be carried in my front pants pocket.

I think it may be worth it for you to look into one.

If you are trying to carry a glock on your ankle (or any other subcompact .40 or better) I want to wish you the best of luck because it's going to be difficult to do. I would suggest looking for a single stack if you really want to go that route. At that, don't plan to practice with it too much because the amount of recoil from any tiny .40 or .45 will leave your hands screaming after you run a mag through it. The Kahr PM.45 will do this.

Have you ever carried with an ankle holster before?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you are carrying a handgun for self defense as your primary gun an ankle holster leaves a lot to be desired and the most important is access to it when you need it right now. If I need my gun now, I don't want to have to bend over, pull up my pants leg to get the gun into action. Ankle holsters are more for last resort backup gun carry than primary carry.

·
Registered
743 Posts
just bought a xd sub compact 40. small accurate cost me 425 used out the door. also look at a kahr cw45 nice relieable gun but the one i looked at was extremly hard to work with. kahr states all their guns have a 200 round break in period that will loosen it up but still hard to buy something for 500 bucks and cant decock it yet but once it was shoot a good number of times im sure it will be nice either of the 2 will be your best bets

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Ruger came out with the pocket pistols,and they are selling well and you have it right where you need it,the ankel holster would be my last choice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
got a XD-40 sub compact. $495.00 new. real pleasure to carry and to shoot. did not care for the holster that came with it, so ordered one custom made from NM Holsters in Texas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I carry a Glock 21 w/ Safariland holster. Yeah it may be a lil big, but the way I look at it, I want something to protect myself and family and 9mm dont cut it and i dont really try to Conceal the fact that im carrying a firearm, if the shirt or jacket happens to bulge because of such a big gun, then so be it...they know it s there. As long as you conduct yourself in a manner of responsibility you should have NO problems open or Concealded carry here in Pa. There is one teller at my bank who looks everytime i come in to see if Im carryng or not, they like when I do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with John S. Try using an ankle holster and grabbing your gun while your running. It will be difficult. Chances are if shooting breaks out your running for cover and not stand in the same spot. An option is the Ruger LCP or Keltec pocket pistols or a bigger pistol with an inside the waistband holster. The kind of holster where you can still tuck in your shirt and have it concealed. Galco and some other brands have them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts