The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see how everyone is worked up about the Saturday deer opener, but another new change is that we won't have to wear orange while fall turkey hunting. I'll probably still turn my reversible hat inside inside-out when I'm walking. And we lose the Saturday after Thanksgiving now to the deer hunters (not a huge hardship, IMO). Any thoughts, pro or con?

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Turkey population in this state are going down Bioligist dont know why either havnt heard from Casalena on this subject for awhile. So they cut out a week and save 50 turkeys. :turkey_track:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Turkey population in this state are going down Bioligist dont know why either havnt heard from Casalena on this subject for awhile. So they cut out a week and save 50 turkeys. :turkey_track:

I hope they don't wait as long to try to find a solution for the lowering turkey population as they did with the grouse.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I hope they don't wait as long to try to find a solution for the lowering turkey population as they did with the grouse.
I highly suspect they are going to find it is the same cause for both the grouse and turkey decline. We should know more in the not so distant future, since it is in the works for research this year.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
414 Posts
The no ORANGE is not something I plan on doing. Will always have a little somewhere. If a hunting accident is going to happen, its during a turkey hunt.

·
Super Moderator
6,156 Posts
I don’t think fishers, bobcats and canines are the problem. In spite of low fur prices, I still try to target coon and possums on a large tract of private ground that I also hunt. I believe nest raiders put a great hurt on gamebird numbers. It’s far easier for a coon or possum to eat a dozen eggs/ chicks than it is for a fisher to take an adult bird.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
We have always had those predators, we didn't always have West Nile Virus in Mosquitoes.

Agreed!!!!....but NOT the populations of fishers and coyotes the past 5 years. Too bad the fisher season is minuet because of it's "furbearer" status. West nile is tough...the resources to control it, in most ways, are out of the Game Commissions hands...and in reality..out of the CDCs hands.

..but on topic..I also always have a orange hat when I'm in the woods...

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
We have always had those predators, we didn't always have West Nile Virus in Mosquitoes.
No where near the numbers we have today. Even back in 05 and 06 you never got pics of bobcats, fishers were non existent. Coyote pics were rare. Now on a weekly or biweekly cam check its rare not to have pics of them.
There were no seasons for them. Imo don't really think any of them should be protected by having seasons for them. Like yotes they should be fair game all the time.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
No where near the numbers we have today. Even back in 05 and 06 you never got pics of bobcats, fishers were non existent. Coyote pics were rare. Now on a weekly or biweekly cam check its rare not to have pics of them.
There were no seasons for them. Imo don't really think any of them should be protected by having seasons for them. Like yotes they should be fair game all the time.
Maybe in your back yard there weren't as many fisher, bobcat or coyotes in 2005 or 2006 but that certainly isn't true for this part of the state.

I was unquestionably seeing more coyote back then and haven't noticed any increase in bobcat or fisher since then, yet our turkey populations have declined around here over the past decade.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I don’t think fishers, bobcats and canines are the problem. In spite of low fur prices, I still try to target coon and possums on a large tract of private ground that I also hunt. I believe nest raiders put a great hurt on gamebird numbers. It’s far easier for a coon or possum to eat a dozen eggs/ chicks than it is for a fisher to take an adult bird.
Studies have shown that normal levels of nest predation is actually beneficial to the long term prey species populations.

If you didn't have nest predation all of the turkeys and grouse would be nesting at about the same time. That would result in all of the eggs hatching about the same time. Then if you had a week or two of bad weather you could lose the entire year of production. If that happened two or three years in a row it could be nearly catastrophic for the species.

But, as a result of normal nest predation you spread the nesting cycle out over months instead of weeks. Since hens who lose a clutch of eggs to predation will keep renesting, for months if need be, a week or two of bad weather only results in the loss of small percentage of that year's production and recruitment of the young of the year.

Nature is actually pretty amazing at making sure it is in balance. It is usually man that messes it up while trying to fix things that are actually just part of the natural balance.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Turkeys here are down drastically. foxes and coyotes are up. An Arse hole artist from NY, owns about 2,000 acres just over the hill and does not permit hunting. You can hear the packs of coyotes yelping at night for a pretty far distance. rabbits are down, even groundhogs are down from ten years ago.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Turkey population here has been fading steadily for about the past ten years. I don't know the reason but the fishers certainly are not helping. I will NEVER hunt turkeys spring or fall without having a fl. orange hat handy, especially when you are moving and a orange band around a tree while sitting and calling. It's all about safety!

Reactions: bigguy54

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I will still carry an orange hat just in case in the fall. Could be a coincidence but since i started getting pics of Fishers on my cams 5 years ago in my area the turkey population has dwindled. The last 2 springs while out scouting i have found numerous turkey carcasses in their roosting areas. Not sure what killed them and it could have been a variety of different reasons. Don't underestimate the power of a mother hen protecting her nest. A few years ago while out spring turkey hunting i accidentally flushed a nesting hen from a blackberry bush. I counted 14 eggs and right beside it was a dead opossum that looked like someone took a drill bit and drilled a bunch of holes in its head.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
After the first day I see very few turkey hunters. Nothing like what I used to see. If the turkey numbers are falling that may be a good thing. As for turkey numbers I think its true they are down in some areas. The largest flock I have seen numbered around 20 birds. Most flocks 7 or 8 birds. Still a very good population but it is down. I would still wear an FO cap when moving.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hopefully we won't really on them for the solution !! Fishers will eat all the porcupines, ask the turkeys about that....take care of all the predators you can and your flocks will return...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts