The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I'm looking for some input here, not sure if anyone has experienced a similar situation and could offer some advice. I've come to the conclusion that I want a truck, for hunting, hauling firewood, yard work, etc...

Just a little background, it's just the wife and I...I drive a medium size SUV currently and my wife has a small Subaru sedan. Both are paid off but still have plenty of life left. I drive a good bit, usually around 20k+ miles per year and good MPG is important. My wife really likes my current SUV as it's not terrible on gas, handles very well on the road, and is roomy enough for the long road trips we take a couple of times per year.

So here is my hold up.... I can't decide if I want to:
A. buy an older truck (looking to spend 10k or less) to have as a 3rd vehicle, or:
B. trade in my SUV and get a newer truck as my daily driver. or:
C. buy an older truck(similar to described above)for 3rd vehicle, give my wife my SUV, and trade her car in on something highly fuel efficient for my daily commuter.

Anyone had a similar circumstance?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Wait till end of year to best the best deal, dealers will knock 10k or more off leftover models. Good used truck cost almost as much as new. I get 18-19 mpg in my F150 Crew with a 5.0 liter, 21 mpg on the road. Can't be without a truck.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It is definitely nice to have a third vehicle in case one of the cars are in the shop. You could probably pick up a nice Toyota Tacoma with 100,000 miles for between 10 and 15 thousand.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Do you really want a new truck for hauling firewood and hunting? I would get something older that you don't have to worry about scratching up or taking in the woods. Especially if you are just hunting locally most of the time. But...., it might cost you some money in repairs now and then.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm not planning on buying new, but if I go that route where the truck is my daily driver I would want something "newer". Perhaps if the price was right, but buying brand new seems out of my budget right now.

Having the 3rd vehicle is nice while others are being repaired.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yeah I'm done with new ones also with these prices that are not going to get any better. I'll run my '12 Tacoma another 2 years maybe and look for one maybe 3-4 years old. Probably go back to a full size. Years ago 100K miles was a lot. Now should get 200K+ before big repairs start to show. Biggest problem here is rust with the spray on the winter roads. If it weren't for that could probably get 300K miles!

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Personally, I buy new when I have the chance because resale and depreciation mean nothing to me. When I'm done with a truck it doesn't have more than six months of life left anyway. If you buy new, there is no reason to buy a truck more often than once a decade (at the most). Buying used often means buying someone elses problem.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.

Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.

Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Last new truck I bought was March of 2000 I bought the first new f150 super crew. The first super crew they got on the lot. It was a 2001.
I had it 18 years. Used it for hauling wood and hunting. Family runs and every day driver. 247,000 miles later it was finally finished. I buy one and use it til it’s finished. I didn’t buy used this last time because of a really good deal I found. But figuring no less then ten years for this one too.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm with you guys, I usually keep all of my vehicles for a long long time. This is actually the first time in my life that I'm considering trading in a vehicle while it's still worth something.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.

Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.

Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for reference, if I went with a newer vehicle for a daily driver I'm looking at a Tacoma, the new Ranger, or a F150. (sorry I'm not a GM guy).

Well used third vehicle could be pretty much any full size truck, preferably Toyota or Ford.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.
Any width or length differences between 150 and 250 would be negligible. Now height would be different. Anything narrower than a 150(1500) would be one of the small trucks.
I drive 3/4 and 1 tons not necessarily for the capacity or towing. I am hard on everything especially vehicles. I have found that I can buy a 3/4 or 1 ton and not have to deal with broken springs, worn out springs, prematurely worn steering components, broken axles on the front etc. Also on the Ford and Dodge heavier trucks the have solid front axles which give better life and durability.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is definitely nice to have a third vehicle in case one of the cars are in the shop. You could probably pick up a nice Toyota Tacoma with 100,000 miles for between 10 and 15 thousand.
Agreed. Probably closer to the 15k mark. My 2011 Tacoma has 342,000 and still going strong.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You could say I keep my trucks for a while also. Ordered mine from the factory and received it in December of 99. 158,000 miles now. Just spent a bunch of money on it though. New clutch, ball joints and axle seals, so hopefully it's good for a while. Engine has never had any work to it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts