The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new multi-partner mallard hen house nesting project is now underway in NW PA. This project was initiated by a new South Carolina group "the Flyway Foundation." They have constructed and have donated (16K commitment) 400 hen houses similar to the Delta Waterfowl design. The Pennsylvania Game Commission will erect and maintain half (200) of the hen houses on Game Lands in Butler, Crawford, Erie, Mercer and Warren counties as well as Shenango Resevoir and Presque Isle State Park wetlands. Additional partner commitments include Delta Waterfowl (10K), Northwestern Pennsylvania Duck Hunters Association (3K) and Long Point Waterfowl and Wetlands Research Fund will lead monitoring and evaluation. The other 200 hen houses will be installed in southern Ontario, just across Lake Erie. This project will be monitored and if successful, will be expanded.

Hen house programs in other areas (western NY, Prairie potholes) have up to 60% utilization rates and up to 100% nest success rates. This compares with ground nesting success rates from 5% to 25%. Certainly, hen houses don't replace the priority for habitat protection, enhancement and management, but are proven to augment and increase duckling production on local areas in a cost-effective manner. Project results will be publicized in the future.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Swamper 1,

Do you have a website or know where I can view the plans for these nesting structures. I have 18 acres of creek bottom and would like to provide some nesting structures for mallards as I see very little mallard ducklings in the spring, yet there seem to be quite a few pairs around in early spring. I have been getting some good results from my wood duck boxes.

The game commission book I bought years back on nesting structures has a mallard nesting plans in it, but it does not look suitable for my type of terrain.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks w.wings.

I printed plans and instructions off the website you noted. I think it's similiar to the one the Pa game comission had in thier book, currently mislocated book to verify. Anyhow, I plan on building two to three and have in place by end of Jan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts