The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months my son and I have been driving the wheels off our Chevy truck.We were locating areas where wild pheasants still exists in New Jersey.All I can say is WOW!We have seen some very ,very interesting things!There are more areas than most people think,and these areas sure don't resemble the traditional looking pheasant habitat.There are areas where the nesting cover is mostly just phragmites,yet the birds have been there for decades.It is almost like these birds are a sub species!
Dan,

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Dan,

I am assuming yo0u are doing this to locate a souce of birds for a interstate trap and transfer program?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lynn,

It's a long, long story "politics" ,but yes!You would be surprised at where some of these birds are nesting and raising their young.It has got me thinking about other possibilities!

Dan.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doodle,
You sure get around,'LOL'yes and other areas!Them urban Jersey birds are tuff critters!

Dan

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you have spent some time in that area,we did see some of those manegy mutts.It was interesting some of what was once considered the best pheasant range'Hunterdon County' had very little sign of wild birds.We did locate what we believe to be a wild population in Salem County!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually, pheasants have always liked wet areas and cattail areas have are good for them so I geuss it isn't a far stretc for them to like phragmites.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
Pheasants love cattails,that's for sure!The thing we found interesting was the lack of nesting cover,we all know this is the limiting factor in Pa..The little nesting cover that was available to them on the fringes ,would easily be over run by predators.Might they be nesting in the phragmites??Very interesting!What could these birds do elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
One thing we found out about our birds is they do nest in the old warm season grass fields more than the hay fields. This was a concern in the beginning because we didn't want them choped up making hay. We think they are using the WSG fields because they have the most cover in the spring when they are nest hunting.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lynn,think about it...these birds have been surviving without the benifit of huge CREP fields!

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Newark airport Jersey meadowlands Jersey city Bayonne Newark
Secaucus
What Timberdoodle said!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
These birds from the hood are tough!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Dingo!And also much smaller areas along the TurnPike,which goes against pheasant wisdom also!

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Not kidding when I say this. NJ Turnpike (Western Spur) we counted 18 one day headed southbound between Ridgfield Park and Newark!

Reminded me of driving through the TX panhandle from Dumas to Lubbock.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dingo!
I have no doubt you saw those birds,some of the numbers we saw were stunning!These birds are thriving without anyone's help!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lynn,
If you can live in Jersey,you can live anywhere!"HINT"

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of the male pheasants had no white ring around their neck,and the females were very dark brown.
In one area near the coast and farther south the habitat was mostly spartina and salt hay with sandy soil,again not your typical pheasant habitat.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts