The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek hunting boots. Never owned a pair before and was just curious if anyone had any experience with this brand .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Steelhead.

I hate to spread bad reviews, but I have had a pair of vaprtreks for about 2 years now, and I am highly unimpressed. At first they were very comfortable and wore nicely, but after about 6 months, they began to really bother my feet. My heels would hurt so bad from wearing them I thought about throwing them away a few times. Also, the crease where the boot bent when i stepped tore and started to leak just from normal use.

I really hope that you have much better success than I did.

I bought a pair of Meindles by Cabelas on sale and like them so far, but its only been about a week with them... we will see

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am going to return them today. After reading other reviews along with yours they are not the type of hunting boot I am looking for. It's a shame because hey looked nice and seemed pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have been wearing Irish Setter Elk Tracker's for years.....great boot....no issues. I am a fan of air bob soles on hunting boots.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking about getting another pair of LaCross Alphaburley's. Was looking to get away from rubber boots this season but the Alphaburely's treated me well for over 4 years. Comfortable and kept my feet warm. Wore them for everything too. Many miles were put on them during spring turkey, beer, archery and rifle, and even for fishing. They never sprang a leak on me and held up. The only issue I had is I wore them so much they began to stink. I may just keep the old pair for all the other things I do during the year and only use my new ones for archery season.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
For leather boots, I've had Meindls and Asolos.

I now have a pair of Lowa Camino's for hikers and Lowa Tibet Hi's for tall hunting boots.

I can't even begin to express how happy I am with my Lowa's. They are super supportive, tough, stable, grab hold even on rocks, and comfortable from right out of the box and just get better with use.

I can't recommend them highly enough. Very, very happy with my Lowa's.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Leather boots: I put hundreds of miles on multiple pairs of Meindels. Bomb proof in my experience.

Bought pair of Lowa Tibet GTX- super disappointed
Did not fit me good

Rubber boots: Had good luck with Lacrosse Alpha Super Burly

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Second DANNER for leathers. Comfortable footbed and great arch support. Can't beat customer service. Boots are guaranteed and they back it up. Returned a pair of 3 year old PRONGHORNS because they "squeeked" when walking. It was hardly noticible to people couple feet away, but it drove me NUTS! Brand new pair sent to my house in mail. No questions...

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Leather boots: I put hundreds of miles on multiple pairs of Meindels. Bomb proof in my experience.

Bought pair of Lowa Tibet GTX- super disappointed
Did not fit me good

Rubber boots: Had good luck with Lacrosse Alpha Super Burly
Lowa's tend to be lower volume boots. I have long but somewhat narrow feet (I wear a 14), and the Lowa ROCK for my feet. Someone with wide feet would likely have a very different experience.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've got two pairs if Vaprtreks that I've been wearing for several years. I've yet to have any of the issues mentioned here. I wear my uninsulated pair during the early season, then when it turns cold I go to a 400 gram pair. I also wear the Irish Setter Shed Tracker alot for early season hunting.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Lowa's tend to be lower volume boots. I have long but somewhat narrow feet (I wear a 14), and the Lowa ROCK for my feet. Someone with wide feet would likely have a very different experience.
No wide feet here. But glad ur happy with ur experience

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I bought a pair of 800 g vapetrek last year. I think they are awesome.

They are a little slippy on the rocks and people say the soles wear too quickly. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I wear lowa renegades wide. They are a little more narrow than typical wide boots. That said, they are the best hiking boot I've tried, for my feet.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ended up getting a pair of Lacrosse 7mm Aeroheads and had a chance to field test them for about three hours yesterday. Went to an area that was recently logged out. Lots of rutted up muddy logging roads with a good amount of standing water. Also hiked some steep uneven terrain. Boots felt light and were very comfortable. No leaks and good traction. Looked brand new when I got back to the truck. Not a scratch or scuff mark on them. May be a tad warm for this time of year but I got them for all day sits in the tree come November so I wanted something that would keep my feet warm. Not sure if I would want to wear them during turkey season or on days with above average temps during archery. All in all I am very pleased so far but won't know for sure until a year from now.

The more I thought about it, rubber boots were the way to go. I always seem to find myself walking through marshy type areas or crossing small creeks so having a pair of boots that come to mid calf was the best route for me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just got a pair of aeroheads during prime deal days for like $90 and am very happy so far despite their obnoxious appearance. I have a pair of Irish Setters too but apparently they aren't made for chicken legs and I'm constantly re-tying. I don't love rubber boots if I have to walk much more than 1/4 mile. I've had a pair of uninsulated cabelas hunting/hiking boots for several years now that have always been comfortable, still aren't leaking, haven't torn, and have generally been good boots. And I do not follow any of the maintenance recommendations. I got them because they were the best value at the time and I would certainly buy them again.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just got a pair of aeroheads during prime deal days for like $90 and am very happy so far despite their obnoxious appearance. I have a pair of Irish Setters too but apparently they aren't made for chicken legs and I'm constantly re-tying. I don't love rubber boots if I have to walk much more than 1/4 mile. I've had a pair of uninsulated cabelas hunting/hiking boots for several years now that have always been comfortable, still aren't leaking, haven't torn, and have generally been good boots. And I do not follow any of the maintenance recommendations. I got them because they were the best value at the time and I would certainly buy them again.

Got mine for $100 which is still a pretty good buy. You're right though.....they are kind of ugly. I wouldn't recommend these to any hunters looking to make a fashion statement.:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a pair of Rocky Bearclaws that were very warm and I thought I had found my last pair of boots. After several years, the entire soles began crumbling and falling apart in chunks right down to the leather base. Since then, I've read about other people having the exact same experience with Rocky's. Just ordered a pair of Danner Pronghorns. Sure hope these turn out better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts