The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again last year my cheapo waders leaked so I just now bit the bullet and ordered La Crosse Men's LaCrosse Trapline 32" Hip Boots. I hope these things last many MANY years!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
hope they work. my main game is beavers, and without good chest waders i have been a little wet many times. i got a cabelas pair that are rip proof. after one year no problems. they seem really tuff. good luck with what you got

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't get your hopes up for MANY years. I waterfowl hunt hard and started trapping last year and from my experience is it doesn't matter how much money you spend on waders if they are used hard I am better you get three to four years out of them at max. Most waders I get can't hold up in about two seasons. They always leak the third year. Good luck nothing ticks you off worse than a leaky wader

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I bought a pair of Traplines this spring and LOVELOVELOVE them! Lighter than Outriggers, very comfortable to wear, warm, and so far have been mighty tough, including a couple pretty rugged duck hunts. My daughter wears a pair of ten year-old Outriggers, when they die she's going to Traplines too.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I use LaCrosse trapper hipboots for years. Black in color and felt lined to the knee plus a reenforced knee.
Cooney and Bob, is that the boot you purchased?

If so, there is a yellow seam line that dips to the inside of leg. If'n you are short (hipboots too high) you can cut that section out to make a great fit (read the instructions from LaCrosse).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hern, the Trapline is a new boot, just introduced in the past year or so. It's a dark green (almost black) and does not have the steel toe. Other than that, it's almost an exact copy of the Outrigger (black) hip boot but lighter.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Hern,

When you say this:
If'n you are short (hipboots too high) you can cut that section out to make a great fit
do you have someone in particular in mind?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Hodgman's neoprene hip boots a couple weeks ago. They fit great and seem rugged and warm (600g thinsulate). I haven't felt them leaking while wearing them but after hanging overnight, the insides have been wet both mornings I went to get them. It isn't just sweat, before someone chimes in with that. Anyone else using neoprene hip boots have this type of thing happen?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
All waders eventually leak in 50 degree or colder water.

To hide my disappointment, I get the kind with the built in rubber boots, that I cut-off and use for archery hunting.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Banshee, yes I have. Neoprene is a synthetic material that does absorb a little water. If you don't have wet spots on your pants or socks, it's probably not a leak. Put them over a hot-air register and they will normally dry overnight. If you have some kind of funky high-tech heating system, loosely crumple up some sheets of newsprint and put them inside for a couple hours, then pull them out before you go to bed. They should be dry in the morning. I don't mind a LITTLE dampness inside my boots in the morning, as long as it doesn't soak my socks or pants.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my new boots today and tried them out. They are very comfortable and seem pretty rugged. Unfortunately they are a little bit "slippery". There is obviously some sort of protectant on them or something. Feels like the equivalent of a light treatment with silicon spray.

How do you all store your boots. I would like to hang them upside down with a boot hanger but I worry about my wire boot hanger eventually cutting into the boots. I might give the hanger a wrap or two of duct tape to make it a little softer.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That slippery stuff wears off quickly. It's a protective spray put on at the factory. I'm in and out of my boots enough that I don't have any special storage method. I do take some care to not always roll them down to the same spots every time. Probably if I didn't use them so much, I'd hang them with clips, completely unrolled, and standing straight standing up, with the clip on the top of the outside thigh. I've heard of problems when hung by the heels. Probably would give them a coat of ArmorAll too. But I wear them all the time, so long-term storage isn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
bob,did you make up any of that special blacktop flavored possum lure this year??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts