The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm originally from Vermont, and fate has brought me here. I moved here last year, and unfortunately was too busy to get out and go hunting until January, and you know how rabbits are late season lol. I did get a few squirrels though. I'll get a much earlier start next season.

I will not be hunting large game, only small.

Anyway, on to my question. I live in Mt Pocono. There is a public shooting range at SGL 127, which I have been to before.

Well, a few days ago, I was out fly fishing at Kistler Run, just the area from where it runs under 423, all the way to where it meets Tobyhanna creek. When I reached Tobyhanna creek, I turned right (North) and followed tree he creek a little ways north, fishing as I went. Tobyhanna isn't my kind of fishing (I prefer little wild streams like Kistler), but I had extra time and it was nice out.

I came to a little parking lot with a gravel road that went out to 423. There was a little metal bridge over Tobyhanna Creek, and on the other side was a sign that said "DANGER SHOOTING RANGE"

I assumed (and was surprised) that I had followed Tobyhanna all the way to the SGL127 public range. But upon looking at my GPS, no, I was still a long ways from there. Looking at the map on satellite photo mode, I CAN indeed see a shooting range right down this this gravel road on the other side of Tobyhanna creek. However, it is not labeled on the map, and 3 days of searching google for what this range is for, who maintains it, or who can use it, has come up completely dry. I can find absolutely no mention of its existence anywhere. If someone could shed a little light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. To find it on google maps, the coordinates are:

Actual range:
41.141623,-75.484223

Pulloff on rt 423 that leads to it:
41.136965,-75.478943

You'll see the little bridge going over Tobyhanna Creek. In contrast, the official SGL shooting range is a few miles to the north, and is bigger than this one, and actually has a marker.

Anyone know if this is a public range? Or what the deal is as to why PAFOA and every other source I can find is completely silent? Literally the only two pieces of evidence I have for its existence are the signage at the creek and the physicall photo of the range on maps. There doesn't see to be any mention of it anywhere I can find.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Alchemist, I'd be glad to do the research for you if you'd only turn some lead I have here into gold. :grin2:

Probably a private range on private land? Use the county GIS map to see who owns the parcel.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Monroe Co GIS is showing that coord on a parcel who's owner is listed as "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania", while the surrounding property is shown as owner " Pa State Game Land". So I'm guessing that some other state agency other than the PGC owns that parcel.

Public - myiDV

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
welcome to HPA. as you can see , there is enough knowledgeable people on here to help get you an answer or point you in the right direction. enjoy the site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts