The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39,279 Posts
I'm gonna go with good. He's got a lot of NFL experience. He's played for successful head coaches in the past. I.E. Don Shula, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman and Andy Reid. He is currently an assistant under Reid and reports say he is responsible for turning Alex Smith into a respectable QB.

His won-loss record, as a head coach, is the same as the other guys the Eagles interviewed except Tom Coughlin. Coughlin was a short term coach so he never had a chance.

Any way you slice it, the next head coach has a mess to straighten out. Thanks to the genius of Mr. Kelly.

Btw, I know he hasn't played in a lot of NFL games but he did play and you can learn a lot by watching from the sidelines.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
100% on board with this. I am behind this guy in spite of whatever front-office politics is going on with the Eagles. I was listening to WIP and the poll they are running is very much against Doug P. and so once again - the fans justify the name Negadelphia when referring to a doggie downer attitude. Who do they want; Vince Lombardi? We have a new head coach and I don't care if Andy Reed (SP?) had anything to do with it; he's our guy now and I am hoping that he brings the very best out of this team and makes it a contender once again.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
A guy who was in the league for years as a backup usually makes a much better coach than one who had insane talent. The backup was there due to his knowledge and ability to prepare--two things that make a very good coach.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good or bad time will tell, I thought Chip was going to get us there three years ago.
If he's the guy lets support him and get it done.
Soon to be 50 of them and we don't have one yet.
Hard to believe Harry

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
On the surface it seems underwhelming,certainly wasn't impressive as a player here which I think prejudices alot of our "knowledgeable fanbase"opinions.

I looked up some video of him talking to the press in KC and he seems on the ball.

I think the question and my concern will be,does he have it in him to instill discipline and effort in this group of players?

This team and fans going all the way back thru the Andy Reid era seem to have a habit of anointing themselves as something special before they earn it.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
I will let you know a year from now.
We have to give the guy a shot.
Depending who is on the roster will make a difference.

·
Registered
39,279 Posts
Can you say rebuildIng? If he gets the team to the playoffs in three years and is a legit contender in five I will consider that a success.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
With Chip's trades, you may as well call it what it is. I'd cut ties with Murray if this is the case, to save against the cap and free him up to go to a competitive team that can use him. No need for that kind of contract on a team that isn't close to competing.

·
Registered
39,279 Posts
The way I understand it is, if they release him they still have to pay him 8 million and he counts against the cap. His money is guaranteed. So, if that's the case he's staying.

If Pedersen has a game plan where Murray runs between the tackles and he gets blocking from the O line he'll be an asset.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I don't have that much of a problem with Pederson.
not overwhelmed ,,not underwhelmed either.
my only reservation is the fact he only coached in reids system.

I do have a big problem with Howie getting to chose his assistants and the fact that pederson is letting it happen is a bad omen.

it will not take much for me to see him as another rich kotite

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Murray will fit in well with the Andy Lite scheme just like Andy ran Westbrook.

Still think there are and still will be a lot of talent. Maybe not what Kelly gave up but enough to get them through the next couple years till the new guy can get his stamp on the team.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
dc 21 said:
No. Why would I be kidding?
I'm assuming as an Eagles fan you are aware of the environment here,that never changes,just gets more hostile.

IMO,Chip treated the media and fans with the respect they earned and give.

I actually think there is some talent here,with some holes.
They can compete in this division if properly motivated to play hard and as a team IMO.

We will see.

Vermeil likes Bradford btw.
Which is not the popular opinion of our "knowledgeable fan base".

·
Registered
39,279 Posts
It really doesn't matter what the fans or media like or dislike. It doesn't matter if the environment is perceived to be hostile. It's what the owner likes/dislikes and decides that matters.

The environment didn't get Chip fired. Chip got Chip fired. Nobody else, he did it himself. In one respect, it's not unlike any other job. You mess up the boss is gonna fire you.

As far as the Phiily fans go, if you do well they love you. If you don't, they aren't shy about letting you know. And why shouldn't they let a player know when he takes a play off or doesn't play 100 percent? Those fans pay a lot of money for seats, parking, concessions, shirts, hats, jerseys and are entitled to voice their opinions.

·
Registered
39,279 Posts
So, the Chiefs lost and I expect an official announcement to be coming very soon about the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. I wonder who it will be. Hmm.......Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts