The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly enjoy shooting a good shooting rifle but i really miss the wood stocked guns of old the new plastic stocked guns have no personality.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
I agree!! I also want walnut-nice blueing and open sights as well. The new guns are a fraud on all of us.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm 41 and feel the same way about the synthetic stocked guns. A rifle with a fine piece of wood is truly appreciated by me yet tough to find nowadays. CZ is putting some nice wood on their rifles.

Mark

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yep that is the reason I have a few of the 1960s Remington 700 and ruger m77 tang safty they just feel right and look good

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I personally prefer a synthetic stock........I'm not talking about the cheap-o stocks that are coming on these budget rifle though.......I'm talking good synthetic stocks, like Mcmillan, Bell and Carlson, and the Old Zytel Ruger stocks...........I have actually converted all of my riles over to synthetic, and would not have it any other way.......It isn't that I don't like wood, I do....but for me the practicality of it just isn't there.......

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I LOVE a nice wood stock !! Problem is, the older I get, the more I dislike dragging good walnut through the puckerbrush in fear of marring it.

I also appreciate synthetics for what they are........utilitarian. My bear rifle and my dedicated long-range rig both wear black plastic.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
One of my first realizations that I was a senior citizen was the understanding that the term "old guns" was applicable to firearms that were made just about the same time when I was born. AARP sending me that stupid clock had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
There's no denying the practicality of the synthetic stock, however I vote wood. The "worth" of it is taking it and using it and not worrying about a few scratches or what it will be "worth" when I'm dead. Who cares? Best line I heard was on a gun show where they were shooting guns that cost as much (or more) as your truck. The owner says "I believe in shooting and using these guns no matter how old or how valuable because that's what they were meant for" Great line. Wood that's been used tells a story, synthetics just sit there and listen!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Nothing beats the look and feel of fine wood but for lousy days I pick up my plastic rifles.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
My favorite deer/ bear rifles all bare "battle scars" from time afield. Funny nowadays, I can specifically remember where and when a few of them were incurred.

The 2" ding on the right side of my Featherweight .280 happened while bear hunting Church Run on the Elk County side of the Clarion quite a few years back. One misplaced step sent us down in a heap!!

The dings and dents and scratches add character to a rifle in my opinion and I have never seen a synthetic that exuded any kind of character!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have some rifles with beautiful stocks, but I also have some synthetic guns. I thought I'd never buy a synthetic gun, but I have ended up with a few "plastic guns". They make a great beater rifle! I hate taking my nicer guns on rainy days, thats where the synthetic guns come in.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree. Even some of the new guns that are made out of wood are not the quality of the wood that was prevalent in the seventies and earlier.
What a shame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It seems like it's all about the $$$. You can get a nice piece of wood if you spend more. The manufacturers are all about profit margin per gun instead of number of guns sold. Seems like that to me.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Deuce280 said:
I have some rifles with beautiful stocks, but I also have some synthetic guns. I thought I'd never buy a synthetic gun, but I have ended up with a few "plastic guns". They make a great beater rifle! I hate taking my nicer guns on rainy days, thats where the synthetic guns come in.
Same here.All my wood guns are going to be passed down to my grandkids so they now all rest in the safe.Plus plastic is lighter to carry, and the savages i own shoot just as good!

·
Super Moderator
24,073 Posts
I like the synthetic stocks they're alot lighter to carry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts