The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got a ruger .280, but lately ive been bit by the gun bug and am looking for another. i have a 06, and a .280. what do you think would be a good addition to the family??? my cousin said he would get a short action, i kinda like the 6mm remington. but have been looking at 30-30 as thats what i got my first deer with, but im not sure about the marlins that are made by remington now.so back to the task at hand what caliber do you think would be a nice addition?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If you are thinking of predator or varmint hunting, go smaller. If there is bigger game than deer on your horizon, go bigger. Remember, big guns generally get used alot less.
The 6mm is a dandy caliber, in fact, there is a nice one for sale in the classifieds. You can't ever have enough rifles !

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try and find an older marlin 30/30 ,the older the better They are for sale on the classified forum from time to time.

I picked up a used one at Gander Mt this summer according to the serial # it was manufactured in 1946. $250 out the door. Not drilled and tapped for scope so peep sights were installed. Excellent shooter with cast bullets. Took a button buck with it this year, Bang flop.

I wish it could talk and tell me where it's been and how much game it has taken.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You have any big game in pa covered with the two you have. I'd get a varmint rig, be it a sporter,or heavy bbl. 223's and 22/250's are fun if you never had one.

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
With the .280 and o6 you have big game covered. Perhaps a varmint rifle....22/250 243 or a fun 222 for coyotes....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my uncle was saying that he really likes the "rob" i saw a weatherby in 257 i think when i was at cabelas it was nice.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Lots of 243, 270, 30-06 ammo on the shelves , not much else can be found....keep that in mind, you will need bullets.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts