The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get back into muzzleloading..I have not hunted w/ one since the early 80's.... What would you all recommend???? Nothing real costly, but relaible...

Thanks, Daron

·
Registered
893 Posts
In flintlocks, I am very pleased with my T/C firestorm and in inlines , I am pleased with my NEF huntsman

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Depends on what you want. In the in-line category there are lots of choices. In the traditional side lock there are few. If it were me I would be looking to go for a good used TC Renegade in .54 caliber which will give you a 1" barrel channel. It would be possibe to get drop in barrels in slow roundball twist or fast twist for sabots and conicals. The stock 1/48 twist would work ok until you could add a couple of switch barrels. Renegades are not expensive used but are not easy to find either. I would get one while they are still out there; I doubt there will be much in the way of side locks from the manufactures in the future. Lyman guns are ok and traditions makes some as well. TC makes barrels from the custom shop very reasonable but Green Mountian drop-ins are getting hard to find right now and their fast twist barrels are very scarce. You could probably find a fast twist GM in percussion and re-breech to flint with a plug from Track of the Wolf though.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
For an inline, I've read and heard alot of good things about the huntsman from NEF/H&R

For a side lock in perccussion almost any gun, the choice should be dictated by what caliber and projectile you want to shoot, ie fast wist or slow twist barrel. IF you are looking for a flint gun, that's sort of a ford chevy thing. I prefer the Lyman among the production guns. Although sometimes you can get a custom gun on the used market for about the same price as a new TC or Lyman. I picked up a first rate custom gun for $425 about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
For an inline, I've read and heard alot of good things about the huntsman from NEF/H&R

For a side lock in perccussion almost any gun, the choice should be dictated by what caliber and projectile you want to shoot, ie fast wist or slow twist barrel. IF you are looking for a flint gun, that's sort of a ford chevy thing. I prefer the Lyman among the production guns. Although sometimes you can get a custom gun on the used market for about the same price as a new TC or Lyman. I picked up a first rate custom gun for $425 about 5 years ago.
NEF-I meen H&R-oh wait I meen stupid Remington(Remmington bout H&R unfortunately) dropped the NEF name altogether and also dropped alot of product, including the NEF Sidekick/Huntsman
I have a Sidekick and that sucker will shoot almost everything well. I use maxi-hunters in mine. The Sidekick is muzzleloader only and the Huntsman you could change barrels on.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
In line....Yep..the cheap Wolf 209 is an outstanding accurate and easy gun to clean....At about $139.00 you can't beat that gun... It's good for 100 yards with two Triple 7 pellets...Do suggest you put some kind of a scope...Even a Basspro Redhead scope works great on mine....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
the new savage, you can shoot smokless rifel pouder and wirh 43 gr pouder and a 300gr BONDED(if not bonded the velcoity of the bullet wont exit a deer it just breaks apart) shockwave deer dont take more than 5 steps out to 200 yds

·
Registered
533 Posts
i would say look into a flintlock. i am shopping around myself for a used one you get more hunting time with it i have an inline and the way the regs are set you only get early season doe with it. i love shooting it but not much hunting time with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts