The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Just a quick question here, I have had all my guns since I was 20 years old. Either given to me as presents or, inherited when my dad passed. I have not had to Buy a gun in over 20 years.
I went To Dicks to get my Son his first .22 rifle and they did a check on me. I was blown away! I thought that was just for handguns?? When did THAT all start?
Ken

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
not sure when it started but im 25 and have been checked since i was probably around 18 or so on every long gun i have ever purchased. that includes chain stores, private gun stores and even gun auctions and gun shows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I see it now as it truly is,
My grandfather never had to pass Anything when he was young, even to buy a .357.
My father had to be checked when buying a handgun only.
The last Shotgun I bought was years ago and I only had to provide proof of age.
Now at your age they check EVERYONE! Our rights are being stripped away one by one.
Hard working,Law abiding tax payers are put through the ringer to get a .22 LR for his only son. Criminals that steal guns from us are free at will to do whatever they please. These are sad times indeed. I have been a licensed driver since 1982 and have never even gotten a speeding ticket yet, I am under suspect if I want to buy my Son a rifle to plink with?
Where the people fear Govt there is Tyranny, where the Govt fears people, there is liberty. Maybe we should turn back the hands of time a few notches.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
BY "check" I assume you are referring to the call the store makes to the state police to verify your background? If so, this has been going on for at least ten years.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
One time I was denied the right to purchase a new rifle in Ohio and I lived in PA. The clerk told me it was just a temporary denial and he didn't know why or how long was temporary. I really wanted that rifle and was upset that I was not permitted to buy it. I was on workmens comp. from my work in PA at the time and I guess that Ohio had a law where you could not buy a rifle when on workmens comp. but the clerk didn't know why I was denied. So; I went to my local gunshop in PA and bought the same rifle I was looking at in Ohio and the sale went thru on the spot. Later; I mentioned it to my attorney and he told me about the Ohio law.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sidney Smith said:
BY "check" I assume you are referring to the call the store makes to the state police to verify your background? If so, this has been going on for at least ten years.
Very true statement!! It's Pa state law,the store must call the state police for a background check.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You may not buy a rifle in Ohio as a PA resident, unless you have it shipped to a licensed dealer in PA. Being on workmans comp has nothing to do with buying a firearm.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
John S said:
Being on workmans comp has nothing to do with buying a firearm.
yeah...i work for my buddy sometimes at gun shows and he is an FFL...i have never seen nor heard of anything relating to the denial of a purchase because of workman's comp.....FYI i have called in a lot of sales!

·
Registered
813 Posts
(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm
under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State,except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes. [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of- State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

BATF Q & A

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Mom has been packing up to move and the otherday she gave me the sales slip from when I bought my Rem 700 ADL 30-06 thirty years ago. Little green sales slip like a waitress uses in a dinner that says 1 used Remington [30-06] $xxx.xx and subtracts my trade and adds the scope re-mount. No model or serial number and I remember people selling handguns FTF around the same time. It's not like it used to be.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
there wasn't murders every other minute back then either. at least not around here.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Brady Act Requirements

Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Brady Act) of 1993, Public Law 103-159, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) was established for Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to contact by telephone, or other electronic means, for information to be supplied immediately on whether the transfer of a firearm would be in violation of Section 922 (g) or (n) of Title 18, United States Code, or state law. The Brady Act is a public record and is available from many sources including the Internet at http://www.atf.treas.gov.

The NICS is a national system that checks available records on persons who may be disqualified from receiving firearms. The FBI developed the system through a cooperative effort with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and local and state law enforcement agencies. The NICS is a computerized background check system designed to respond within 30 seconds on most background check inquiries so the FFLs receive an almost immediate response. Depending on the willingness of state governments to act as a liaison for the NICS, the FFLs contact either the FBI or a designated state Point of Contact (POC) to initiate background checks on individuals purchasing or redeeming firearms.

·
Registered
112 Posts
theyve been doing that for a few years now guess just to make sure noone with a record that may potentially use that gun to rob some place has no way to buy a fireman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tyler718 said:
theyve been doing that for a few years now guess just to make sure noone with a record that may potentially use that gun to rob some place has no way to buy a fireman
I didn't know you could buy fireman, they probably come in handy!! LOL just kidding with ya.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ken Cole said:
...Now at your age they check EVERYONE! Our rights are being stripped away one by one.
Hard working,Law abiding tax payers are put through the ringer to get a .22 LR for his only son. Criminals that steal guns from us are free at will to do whatever they please. These are sad times indeed. I have been a licensed driver since 1982 and have never even gotten a speeding ticket yet, I am under suspect if I want to buy my Son a rifle to plink with?
Ken, I have to disagree that your rights are being stripped away. You still got your 22 on the same visit to the store. Things just aren't the same as they were 20, 30, 40 years ago.
God knows what the straw purchases were years ago, but it's pretty bad today. A 22 is still a firearm, and I don't see the issue.
Realistically - they don't know you in the store, they don't know if you just had a heated argument with your neighbor and figure you can cap him with a .22 with very little noise. All they know is you want a firearm.
You should be glad they aren't handing them out like candy, and only to citizens with a clean record.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ken Cole said:
Hi folks,
Just a quick question here, I have had all my guns since I was 20 years old. Either given to me as presents or, inherited when my dad passed. I have not had to Buy a gun in over 20 years. I went To Dicks to get my Son his first .22 rifle and they did a check on me. I was blown away! I thought that was just for handguns?? When did THAT all start?
Ken
This why it pays to belong to some sort of pro gun organization. They watch dog all actions and pending legislation that involve our rights to firearms. Not to be smart, but I bet you don't belong to any or you would have had a clue to all that has changed in the last 10 years. You would be suprised as to what is pendng right now and you should be appalled at the actions they anti gun crowds are trying to slide thru with back door legislation. I suggest that not just you, but anyone who has an interest in guns and hunting start getting an education on what is happening with your elected officials.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Having to have an instant background check before carrying out a gun purchase is a reasonable request and is actually a safeguard of our rights when you think about it. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a concealed carry permit and when I buy a gun I just fill out the form and out the door I go with the gun. That's because I had a major background check by the State Police in order to get the carry permit. That's an additional benefit to having the carry permit and it makes buying guns a little faster and easier.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I recall that for a while in the 60's that merchants had to do some sort of ID check whenever you purchsed ammunition. That did not last too long and it may have been only for ammunition that could be fired in a handgun. My buddy and I used to stop at Esmanns in Pitcarin on our way to shoot and we had to show our driveres liscence when we purchsed .22 or .45 ammo. I don't recall that we needed to do that for the millsurp 06 stuff.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
That requirement was for any ammo that could be used in a handgun. Don't recall it lasting all that long?

Once bought some bulk 22 ammo at Kmart when that was in effect and the clerks got into an argument over whether or not they had to see my ID and log the purchase.

Art, IIRC there was a brief period of time in PA several years ago, when anyone with a License To Carry could use that for the "background check" when buying a firearm, but it was replaced by our PICS check. PA uses their own system, over the national NICS one.

Many here feel PICS is redundant, since PA could use NICS and we'd pay less for the firearms purchase and background check.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts