The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says I'm looking for some suggestions on a new flintlock...i had one years ago but was young and never really used it. Finally moving back to PA and want to pick one up to start shooting next spring so. I can go out next year... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Not many choices in new, production flintlocks...……….

I's probably go with a Lyman or a Pedersoli if buying new. You might wanna cruise Gunbroker for a nice, used T/C Hawken or CVA Mountain Rifle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lyman is a good gun. I don’t know much about the Pedersoli guns. But there are a ton of great semi custom builders out there that put together very nice rifles. I have a TVM Late Lancaster rifle in .50. It’s gorgeous, accurate and reliable. I mean 80+ shots on the same flint swabbing the bore every eight or ten rounds with a damp patch. No misfires, at all.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Since TC stopped making sidelock muzzleloaders, Investarms/Lyman are probably the best current moderately priced rifles. Their locks are good sparkers.
Note that Investarms rifles can be found as other brands, like Cabela's, others.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Besides the Lymans with the 1-48 twist, which can shoot roundball or conical. There is the Traditions Pa Pellet Ultralight with a 1-28 twist barrel that shoots the sabot ,I would use real back powder in any muzzleloader you choose.

Reactions: willyp

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
If you can afford it RMC is the way to go.

Ive heard and read good things about RMC Accusporter rifles as well. They are not my thing but if you just want to hunt and shoot and are not really concerned about traditional looks they are good rifles. I like Lyman rifles. I own two and have no complaints.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A lot depends on your budget. I hunted with a TC renegade & never had any issues with it. I eventually sold it and bought a rifle from TVM. It`s well made with quality parts. Really like it. Lots of places to buy custom, semi-custom, or parts to build one yourself.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Just like the title says I'm looking for some suggestions on a new flintlock...i had one years ago but was young and never really used it. Finally moving back to PA and want to pick one up to start shooting next spring so. I can go out next year... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Owned both a RMC & a Lyman GPR 54. Between the 2.....I would opt for the Lyman. Great planning that you're looking for a flinter now to start shooting in the spring to be ready for next season!! Should be ample time to get used to your new flinter. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking to keep it around or under the $500 mark for just starting out that way I have some money left. Over to purchase everything else I need... But the rmc does look sweet(especially in the birch) ... I want to make sure it is something I will. Continue to do before I spend a ton of money on a custom one... As far as looks... Sure it would be cool to have an old traditional looking flintlock but again as of right now I am just more interested in getting back into flintlock and extending my deer season with another weapon. I am looking forward to picking one up and heading to the range to start practicing

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Then I would highly recommend to keep your eye out for a combo package.There are a lot of times when someone is sellin one that let all of the accessories and supplies go along with it for one price.Be patient and you will find the right deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys for all the responses... The more I look the more I'm liking the rmc... I might just be patient and see if I can find a nice used package deal or gun only if I find someone selling what I'm looking for but while I'm looking a might keep saving up for a rmc

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I bought a used RMC off this forum 2 years ago. Not sure but I think I paid $500, It has 1-48 twist and I like the rifle.

I did have a issue while I was at the range this past summer. After a few rounds I wasn't getting any spark. I had some new flints that I bought at Dixons for my TC and replace the flint and still didn't get enough spark. I cleaned the gun and touch hole and went back to the range the following day with the same results.

I ended up taken the rifle to Dixons to get checked out and they replaced the flint with an English flint or German flint. I can't remember which one but was told both flints would work in the TC.

I left my muzzleloader stuff upstate because I am going back up this week to hunt and I will see which flint I have in the RMC since I bought 5 replacements. BTW I shot a doe last saturday with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts