The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...Decided to get into flintlock hunting this year and purchsed a T/C Firestorm yesterday. I have a T/C X7 Omega which shoots very well and would like to use some of the same stuff to the flintlock? What I'm thinking is using the same 250gr Shockwaves and the same Triple 7 pellets. I would put a few grains of FFFF down the pipe first, (2) T7 Pellets, then Shockwave. If not this, what would you recommend? I'm pretty thick skinned, so don't be afraid to tell me I'm nuts.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Okay...you're nuts!
Just kid'n Bronzeback. Give us some more info. such as caliber 45? 50? And if you plan on using any canistered real black powder like Goex or round balls etc.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Firestorm was marketed for use with pellets.
With that being said , I use loose black powder , 90 grains of it in mine.
Other than that I like the gun.
I've used the saboted hornady 240gr xtp then switched to 245gr power belts then switched to some 320? grain maxi hunters.
Round balls fly well also.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is 50 cal and I wanted to use the same 250gr Shockwave bullets that I shoot from my inline but if I need to get something else then I will. Maybe I'm trying to keep it too simple???

"hunterx".....Were you unhappy with the 240 hornadys and 245 powerbelts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a .50 cal Traditions PA pellet. Kinda similar to the TC-just not as nice... A few of my buddy's have the TC. They (2 of them anyway)seem to have a bit more trouble with the pellets then I do. They still use them though.
I shoot 2 777 pellets and a 240gr hornady hp/xtp .44 cal bullet with a sabot. I just put a tiny amount of powder from my pan primer in before my 777. I have almost, if not instant ignition.
No real difference from loose in my trials.
Patterns real nice out to 75-80 yards. After that my fiber optic sight is a little fat and my group opens up a bit. I can still kill a paper plate every time out at 100 though
. Where ya at in NW pa?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Bronzeback said:
It is 50 cal and I wanted to use the same 250gr Shockwave bullets that I shoot from my inline but if I need to get something else then I will. Maybe I'm trying to keep it too simple???

"hunterx".....Were you unhappy with the 240 hornadys and 245 powerbelts?
Yes and yes.
The 240xtp performed well on game and I use almost the same bullet in 44mag "Hornady states the muzzle loader bullet jackets are a bit thicker to stand up to the increased velocity as compared to their 240xtp marketed to pistol shooters", long story short ok , the sabots were causing me problems when it was cold outside , and again , long story short but that's what it has turned out to be.
And the power belts were blowing up almost on contact with the deer , this is a problem I discovered that many others were having but did not find out about the others until I was having the same issue.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have a Firestorm and so does a friend of mine. I use Goex ff in the tube and ffff in the pan, and maxi hunters or maxi balls, very accurate for my rifle. My buddy uses pellets down the tube and I believe the Shockwaves, and he said he has no problem and says it ignites as fast as his old flinter that he used powder in. In your shoes I would try what you have, if you can afford it, purchse some loose powder and other rounds and have fun at the range! Just don't for get to write your loads down as you go, after 4-5 different type of loads, its easy to get confused.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I shoot the shockwaves from my encore and wanted to keep it simple and shoot them from my Lyman GPR hunter barrel. Not good. Took my 1"- 1 1/2" (50yds) groups and spread them out to about 8". The rifle seems, IMHO, to pick the projectile.

Never tried the 777 pellets but get great ignition with 2f 777 with 5gr 3f bp in front of it topped with a 245 aerotip powerbelt. Did have an issue with the PB hollow points not getting good penetration but the aerotips have been great. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I shoot 120gr of FF Goex pushing 350gr T/C Maxi hunters out of my Fire Storm,its very accurate and will knock the snot out of anything it hits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts