The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to flintlock rifle shooting. Have read as muych as I can find on the Internet and visited a shop yesterday to see what I could find out about getting started. I am wondering about the powder that is used. I have read a few places that said to only use real black powder, and not black powder substitutes. Is that the usual practice of FL shooters? Or, are the BP substitutes considered to be acceptable? And, is it even possible for someone to buy and store real BP? Where do I get it and what are the rules for storing it, etc? Do I need a permit or something?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: Black powder or BP substitutes??

personally I prefer real BP. In my flinter it seems to burn faster and shoots better, besides I like the way it smells. Finding real BP is not as hard as you might think. You just have to ask the guy at the counter. They normally keep it in the back room and they will ask you for your DL. It is cheaper than the subs and you need no permit for it.

·
Registered
536 Posts

It's hard to beat real black powder in a flintlock, use FFG or FFFG in the bore & FFFFG in the pan.
As for storage ask your local fire dept. about any rules etc.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I normally keep my powder in a military ammo can. It keeps out moisture, but I don't think it would really help in an explosion

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

No permit for Blackpowder needed as long as you have less than #50 at home.The reason the Blackpowder works better over the subs is Blackpowder has a flash pt of around 350 degrees where the subs are 700-950 degrees.This meens Blaxckpowder gives faster ignition.Subs work better in inlines where there is a hotter,more direct spark.
For the flinters,stick with the real stuff.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

if its a flintlock, you need the real stuff. Why put all the money into a flinter, Into your hunt and then end up with a dud in the barrel, all because you chose to use the easier to find sub?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts

Black powder! Use 3F in the pan and for your charge---1 powder to buy and carry.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts

brewyak said:
I normally keep my powder in a military ammo can. It keeps out moisture, but I don't think it would really help in an explosion
Nope---It acts like a grenade ---schrapnel sp? GBJ is an expert on this and I did quite a bit of study on it from the experts at Aberdeen Proving Ground Demolition Dept. The one guy got a free helicopter ride to MDs Shock Trauma due to a big black powder expolsion----dont let anyone tell you static is ok around blackpowder either! Many willpost and argue differently but I went straight to the source and the top experts for our military on this one.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts

Go with real black powder. Goex or Swiss. I'm 100% Swiss. Much cleaner burning & very consistent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just to get my terminology straight: "Goex" is a brand of real Black Powder, right? I am assuming that Pyrodex is a substitute BP, right?

Also, new question: In a typical range session of target shooting, about how many rounds would a typical FlintLock shooter fire? When I take a centerfire lever rifle to the range, I might go through 200 rounds or so at a typical day at the range. I am trying to figure out how much BP, round ball, etc I need to buy. I've fired a 30-30 and a Japanese 7.7 mm but nothing more powerful than that. So, if I get a 50 cal flintlock, am I going to have a sore shoulder after a few rounds, or is it more tame than I am expecting?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts

First Goex and Swiss are types of real BP. Pyrodex and 777 or Triple 7 are common substitutes. Second a typical day at the range can be different for each of us. You might go to shoot 9 shots or 45 shots. The amount of BP you will need thus depends on the charge you will use. I will take 1 pound of BP each time I go to the range. I just dont know how long I will end up staying. As for the the shoulder---Ive never experienced a sore shoulder from shooting my longguns. Now my 12 ga. is a diff. story. Thats why I now shoot mostly BP. You most likely will not shoot 200 shots in a day figuring if you are new it will take an average of 2 minutes to swab, reload, BS, between shots!! Develop your load and go from there---the frist time out take 2 pounds of powder and a box of 100 balls and dont forget 100 patches.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts

Without a doubt, real black powder. Good luck

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

If you are just setting a gun up,its gonna take some shooting.
FFg or FFFg and vary amounts
.490 or .495 RBs
.015,.018,or.020 patches
Try every combo possible to come up with the TIGHTEST group.After you have tight groups then move or file/tap your sights to center.Run a wet patch followed by 2 dry about every 3 shots.Its about consistency!
Don't worry so much about POWER and more about hitting what you are aiming at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts