The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vermont is proposing 385 Moose licenses for the 2012 season. That is down from a high of 1100 just four years ago. New Hampshire is proposing 275 Moose permits for this fall and that is down from a high of 575 permits in 2007. Vermont says the problems have been overharvest in some areas and habitat loss. New Hampshire blames their diminishing moose numbers on winter tick kill and lower reproduction rates.
Maine is giving out 3700 permits which I believe is an all time high so all must be well there apparently.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks for the disappointing news.Well, I still have to take a shot at one of those tags anyway

·
Registered
869 Posts
My cousin goes up to Maine for deer every year with some friends and they see more and more moose every year.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jayden41 said:
Thanks for the disappointing news.Well, I still have to take a shot at one of those tags anyway

You can't get one if you don't enter. When I got drawn for Vermont in 2003 they only issued 440 permits (10% go to non res. so that's only 44!) and they claimed to have a Moose pop. of 2,500. And I got my best Bull that hunt. Now the permits are low again and the herd is back down to 2,500 but if you pull the tag I'm sure you can find some excellent hunting in any unit with a little research. Incidentally in 2003 it took me six days to find a single moose and when I did I found three. This was the one I wanted.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
i'll keep trying and hopefully be asking you for some help with areas.Sooner or later I have to get lucky

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Moose, man that first bull was a bad shot eh?? Think the guy should of waited just a bit??? The 2nd. was better done. Hard guess on spred at first. One reason Alaska is tuff judgein AR up there. DIY in Alaska as some guys talk of better be real good at judgein antlers, and packin out??? Those New England states have nice landscape to hunt in for sure. Nice I'll go back and watch some more video's I'm pumped....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought those would get someone besides me fired up
. Just sumthin'about a big ole bull comin' in to the call that gets my heart beating. Even if it is only on Youtube.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A friend of mine that lives in Vermont told me they found 7 moose beds this winter that were full of blood from the ticks. He said they all looked like the moose were shot with shotguns, just blood everywhere.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pity the Moose. Each moose has thousands of ticks on them. I don't know how they stand it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts