The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my new dog Annie. She'll be 11 months old on Sunday. Thanks again RabbitRunner!

She got away from me and ran three different rabbits yesterday morning. I wasn't sure whether to say bad, or good, lol. Here's a video.

She's still on probation haha.

Can't wait to get out and actually run her. Now I understand why people get so attached to dogs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, and yes, it is. I'm having trouble getting her to come when something is going on, like when she is out sniffing around it's like I'm not there.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That's a beagle for ya, they have a one track mind once they smell a rabbit. The more you can work with her around the yard the better she will listen in the field.

I've seen both of her parents run a few times and they are very nice dogs. She should make a great hunting dog for you.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Looks like you live right in bunny country Ty

Seems like Annie landed in the right place

All the best with her
John L

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theres a few around John. Annie and i have become bestfriends. ill make sure her talent doesnt get wasted.
I let her go out like 50 yards today and hid behind the house where she couldn't see me and called her and gave her a treat when she came. I'm going to run her with a friend tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. It's funny how my parents wouldn't let me get a dog for years, and now they love her and wonder why they didn't let me sooner, lol.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You are on the right track with giving her treats when she does something correct.
I have a Chessie and when we walk the woods, I always try to "hide." Forces my dog to stop and keep tabs on my whereabouts. Once the dog cmes back, tail wagging, he gets a treat.

I want my dog to explore and be independent but also aware of where I am.
What good is a dog that hunts alone?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice looking dog!

Lots or good guys on here!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Great looking dog< hope you have many many years of success.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts