The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always heard about the accuracy reputation of the .260 Rem. Fact is all my 6.5 cartridges perform well in that department. Bit the bullet and picked up a 700 SPS .260, installed a Timney trigger. A Leupold 6x42, one of my favorite hunting scopes, looked "right" on it.

A little Internet load research showed good results with VV-560 behind 120s...My go-to bullets for accuracy have always been Sierras or Nosler BTips...loaded ten each of two charge weights with Ballistic Tips and headed for the range. Quickly got it on at 100 and laid down four 3-shot groups that arrived just slightly over 1/2 inch.

I'm impressed with both the rifle and the cartridge, to say the least...I know many here have found this round to be ideal on deer and it's no wonder..it runs with good company and maintains the accuracy reputation of the 6.5 caliber. Darn shame Remington has sort of abandoned it with the exorbitant price of factory ammo...

It'll be a toss-up between a Tikka T3 6.5x55 or this SPS for a rainy day hunter this year...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i've never used that caliber but i am glad you have found success.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
winchesterbob said:
Always heard about the accuracy reputation of the .260 Rem.
groups that arrived just slightly over 1/2 inch.
Ah, youse kids, ya never listen to yer elders! I thunked I telled ya a few years ago yaotta have a 6.5-08.A-Square!

Next thing yano youse goona want ones them there 270-08s.

Grump.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL....well, Old Feller, I will admit I never shot any cartridge as friendly as this 6.5-08...the rifle is as fugly as they get but it sure does lay 'em in just fine...

Might have to try your .270-08...it'll have to be something else to beat that 6.5's accuracy though...gives a whole new meaning to the Tupperware 700's....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi Win-Bob, I am a fan of the .260 rem. also when I shot high power silhouette it was my favorite cartridge. I use it as my #1 deer rifle now and shot a mule deer at 230 yards using 120 gr. Berger target bullets in Wyoming and the deer was DRT. There is a couple of treads going on here now touting the 25-06 as a great all around cartridge and it will get the job done but the .260 will get the job done with less powder less recoil and you can use a short action.
I think for a all around rifle the .260 is hard to beat in Pa. from groundhogs on up.
Drags

1 - 5 of 5 Posts