The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I bought the Tenpoint Shadow NXT yesterday and have questions.

1. The cocking device. I didn't get the crank style but the sled with the rope. Does the poly version that comes with it last a while or should I upgrade? Can I shorten the rope to make the pull length less?

2. Bolts. I want hard hitting bolts and am okay sacrificing some speed for KE. I'm thinking 410-450 grain? Any suggestions?

3. Nocks. The guy at the bow shop mentioned using nocks with a deep U groove rather than the Omni-Nock. Why?

4. Strings. Wax them as often as I wax my compound or one - two times per season? Are the factory strings fine or should I go custom? I have always get custom strings for my compound...

5. Cocking and hoisting. I'm assuming you cock it on the ground (obviously don't insert the bolt) and hoist it up the tree? I figure with the dry fire mechanism and safety, this should be an issue and is likely the way everyone does it.

6. Boradheads. I see a lot of guys like Schwacker mechanical. What about Hypodermic No Collar, etc. Any favorites? I'll be staying away from fixed blade I think.

7. Scope. Can you buy add-on flip up lens covers?

I think that's it. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please, share.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi guys. I bought the Tenpoint Shadow NXT yesterday and have questions.

1. The cocking device. I didn't get the crank style but the sled with the rope. Does the poly version that comes with it last a while or should I upgrade? Can I shorten the rope to make the pull length less?

2. Bolts. I want hard hitting bolts and am okay sacrificing some speed for KE. I'm thinking 410-450 grain? Any suggestions?

3. Nocks. The guy at the bow shop mentioned using nocks with a deep U groove rather than the Omni-Nock. Why?

4. Strings. Wax them as often as I wax my compound or one - two times per season? Are the factory strings fine or should I go custom? I have always get custom strings for my compound...

5. Cocking and hoisting. I'm assuming you cock it on the ground (obviously don't insert the bolt) and hoist it up the tree? I figure with the dry fire mechanism and safety, this should be an issue and is likely the way everyone does it.

6. Boradheads. I see a lot of guys like Schwacker mechanical. What about Hypodermic No Collar, etc. Any favorites? I'll be staying away from fixed blade I think.

7. Scope. Can you buy add-on flip up lens covers?

I think that's it. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please, share.
1) The poly version that comes with the crossbow will last. Not a bad idea to have a back-up in case you lose it, or accidentally cut the rope.

The rope can be shortened by pushing it up through the handle and tying it off. I recommend tying it in 1" increments until the desired length is met, and then cut it off once you're certain it's the correct length.

2 & 3) Highly recommend the TenPoint Centerpunch arrows (450 gr. w/100 gr. points) with Alpha nocks for that crossbow. Probably the best production arrows you can buy and the Alpha nocks are fail proof.

4) Factory strings are fine but leave the bow cocked for several hours a day for about a week to get the stretch out of them. Highly recommend the scorpiod venom string lube and wax according to how much you shoot. Once or twice a year is generally adequate unless you see a lot of fray, or continue to hunt in the rain.

5) I always cock on the ground...nock an arrow once in the stand.

6) Pretty tough to beat the Swhacker heads out of crossbows.

7) TenPoint just started adding flip up covers to all of their optics so I'm certain they could be purchased directly through them. Check out the Hunters Outlet. That's their pro-store.

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Scope caps... Proprietary covers are great if you can get ones made for your specific scope and are usually high quality, but may be expensive or unavailable. If you want to go a cheaper route, I've always been able to find Butler Creek covers for just about any scope I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) The poly version that comes with the crossbow will last. Not a bad idea to have a back-up in case you lose it, or accidentally cut the rope.

The rope can be shortened by pushing it up through the handle and tying it off. I recommend tying it in 1" increments until the desired length is met, and then cut it off once you're certain it's the correct length.

2 & 3) Highly recommend the TenPoint Centerpunch arrows (450 gr. w/100 gr. points) with Alpha nocks for that crossbow. Probably the best production arrows you can buy and the Alpha nocks are fail proof.

4) Factory strings are fine but leave the bow cocked for several hours a day for about a week to get the stretch out of them. Highly recommend the scorpiod venom string lube and wax according to how much you shoot. Once or twice a year is generally adequate unless you see a lot of fray, or continue to hunt in the rain.

5) I always cock on the ground...nock an arrow once in the stand.

6) Pretty tough to beat the Swhacker heads out of crossbows.

7) TenPoint just started adding flip up covers to all of their optics so I'm certain they could be purchased directly through them. Check out the Hunters Outlet. That's their pro-store.
Thanks for answering my questions. Super helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts